Talk

Advanced search

Thrush - please help

(6 Posts)
jackieg123 Tue 16-Jun-09 10:17:52

Hiya,

I've got thrush in my breast tissue following two courses of antibiotics. I was given fluconazole, with an initial loaded dose and 50mg per day for the following ten days, five of which I was on antibiotics. my GP has extended the course by 5 days and added the daktarin cream on Friday. Whilst I am better than I was (I no longer have to bite my finger whilst feeding her) it has not gone. My midwife says the latch is fine, I had pain free feeding before the antibiotics, and she is fairly certain it is thrush.

Can you tell me what you have used to cure this? We're doing the hygiene things. Does gentian violet work? Should I try the grapeseed fruit extract capsules?

Help

JigglyPiggy Tue 16-Jun-09 11:24:06

Hi

I have had this with both my DC and both times it ended my feeding them as it was sheer agony.

I could'nt tell from your post but is the baby showing signs off thrush and is this being treated?

Sorry I can't be much more help as I've not heard of the other items being used to treat this.

jackieg123 Tue 16-Jun-09 11:59:08

Hi and thanks for your reply. My baby isn't particularly symptomatic but has Nystatin (4 drops a day).

I can completely understand why this stopped you feeding... I was so close on Saturday but carried on...

JigglyPiggy Tue 16-Jun-09 12:14:52

Well you are doing fantastic to still be continuing as in my experience there is nothing worse than a screaming hungry baby and the anticipation of the agony you are about to experience when you let that little one near you!

I have to say i didnt use Nystatin for baby but used daktarin oral gel (bought it over the counter at pharmacy).

I dont know whether you have come across it but I had this leaflet on thrush that I took to the GP to demand treatment as they were clueless!

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/BfN_Thrush_leaflet_Feb_2009.pdf

What sort of symptoms are you showing?

jackieg123 Tue 16-Jun-09 12:30:27

I have deep pain in my breasts during and after feeding that can shoot into my arm pit and round my back, really sensitive nipples blush, slightly itchy boobs and anaemia.

The fluconazole has made the feeding bearable now, but in the evening and at night time it is worse.

I've just received LLL's leaflet which has a few suggestions on it for me to try, including a homeopath.

jackieg123 Tue 16-Jun-09 12:31:52

PS I took that leaflet to the GP on Friday and he's said 5 more days treatment then no more shock. Hope its better by then as I really don't want it to flare up again. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now