Talk

Advanced search

How long will exclusively BF DD need to be breastfed?

(12 Posts)
Cosmogirl Mon 15-Jun-09 12:39:55

Hi,

I am exclusively bfing my 10 week old DD and if all goes well am hoping to continue this. I'd rather not give her any formula if I can help it. Based on this, how long would I need to BF for? Ie: at what age do babies no longer need breastmilk or formula?

Sorry, first time mum, so bit clueless about things!

Thanks.

cyteen Mon 15-Jun-09 12:41:27

I think it's generally accepted that they need breastmilk or formula until they're one, then you can give cow's milk

wastingmyeducation Mon 15-Jun-09 12:44:58

That's right it's breastmilk or formula til they're one.

BUT, you can feed for as long as you want, and it's recommended to feed til they're at least two.

However, don't worry about that right now! (It gets easier and easier as they get older) smile

ShowOfHands Mon 15-Jun-09 12:45:01

I'm not sure I grasp the question entirely.

A baby cannot have cow's milk as a drink until aged 1.

The WHO recommends you bfeed for 2 years or longer (alongside food obviously after 6 months).

Guidelines from WHO and DOH suggest you feed exclusively for 6 months before introducing solids.

You can bfeed for as long as you and the baby want to.

Define 'need'. grin

Cosmogirl Mon 15-Jun-09 12:55:49

Thanks.

Yep, sorry, probably didn't word that very well. Am happy to feed until she's one if all goes ok but with possibly going back to work part-time when she's around 8/9 months I was just wondering about what I'd do for feeds when I'm not there. Would it be possible that she could have a morning and evening feed and then solids during the day...I could express I guess but so far she's not be keen on taking EBM from a bottle.

LittleMissBliss Mon 15-Jun-09 13:02:46

You'll probably find by around 9 months your dd will be feeding allot less, you could give her expressed milk in a beaker, she may just drink water and wait for her feeds when you get home from work.

Some babies are happy to take EBM and other will drink very little and prefer to wait for their mum's.

LittleMissBliss Mon 15-Jun-09 13:06:29

just to add- By 9 months she will probably be quite established on solids so wont starve if she doesn't have her day time feeds. You could just feed her a morning, afternoon and evening feed. Babies can adapt to new routines with their feeding.

nappyaddict Mon 15-Jun-09 13:09:25

They need it until they are 12 months old but many people prefer to let the child self-wean and they gradually reduce their feeds down when they are ready. This usually happens any time between 12 months and 4 years old.

nappyaddict Mon 15-Jun-09 13:10:40

Cosmo by that age aswell she may take EBM from a spouted or open cup like a doidy

Cosmogirl Mon 15-Jun-09 13:16:51

That's really helpful - thanks for the info ladies.

Cosmogirl Mon 15-Jun-09 13:18:59

What confused me was that a friend said she stopped bfing at 6 months but didn't give formula....But if they can't have cow's milk until 1 - what was she giving the baby?

nappyaddict Mon 15-Jun-09 13:45:45

Perhaps just lots of milk in cooking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now