Talk

Advanced search

Could my giant baby really only take 3-4oz a feed?

(5 Posts)
charleyfarleycat Sun 14-Jun-09 19:03:01

Hi
Trying to get my 12 week old to take a bottle. He was born at 8lbs 10oz and by 9 weeks he was over 14lbs so he's doing pretty well. He's mostly breastfed but we introduced a bottle of Aptamil at 10.30pm from around 3 weeks. However, he's rarely taken more than 3oz, and last night took just 1oz.
Anyway, that apart, I left him with my mum yesterday after feeding him at 11 and he refused the bottle until I came home early at 5. I tried the bottle and he took 3oz and seemed suitably happy, despite having missed his 2ish feed.
He normally has around 6 feeds in 24 hours. I'm sure he would take more from the breast wouldn't he?
The reason I'm asking is that I have a wedding next weekend that I would like to go to without the boob attachment. Should I be worried if he only takes 3 oz a time or just go and enjoy myself?

mrsflux Sun 14-Jun-09 20:41:01

i have a similar sized DS but he's usually a guzzler. i wouldn't worry as i think at only 12 weeks he's a bit too little to be going on hunger strike just coz mums boobs aren't available! grin
i think they have hungry days and less hungry ones - he'll probably make up for it later on!

charleyfarleycat Mon 15-Jun-09 11:46:50

Hi
just out of interest, how much does your boy have?

mrsflux Tue 16-Jun-09 19:48:45

we're fully on bottles now, during 24h he seems to have about 30oz - which is what the back of the box says.
he doesn't go for 5h gaps between bottles though (they suggest 5 bottles in 24h), he'll have 6ish bottles a day and drink anywhere between 3 and 6oz.

nickytwotimes Tue 16-Jun-09 19:50:56

My ds was fully ffed from about 2 weeks.
He was and is massive, but only took a maximum of 4 oz at a feed for the first 4 months. He fed every 2.5 to 3 hours. Just a wee tummy, but lots of energy needed, I guess?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now