Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how many feeds for a 8 monther?

(6 Posts)
janx Wed 11-May-05 13:32:24

I am sure I read somewhere that when you introduce protein into babies diets that you can cut one milk feed and replace with water? I am currently bf at 7, 11, 2.30 and then a bottle at 6.30.
Was wondering if she actually needs the 11am feed or is it just a habit now - any wise mumsnetters? I know all babes are different, but I was just wondering

crazy Wed 11-May-05 13:41:25

hi Janx , yes you are absolutely right about mixing milk with a protein dish, the calcium in the milk cancels out the protein from the meal. So yes you should cut out the 11am bottle, but you can keep all the other feeds, which are great times, but do keep the 2:30 feed a smaller feed of 5floz as this is the one you will cut out next between 9 and12 mths. x

hermykne Wed 11-May-05 13:42:27

yes cut the 11am, as i did with my ds, and now at 9mths he might or might not have the 2pm or so one.

muminlondon Wed 11-May-05 13:57:17

At that stage dd was having morning and evening bf and 2 x daytime beakers of ebm or formula (about 5 oz) to keep her going between meals. At 2 she still has 3 beakers of milk, one as a mid-morning drink. It's up to you, depends if she's thirsty and/or will take as much water but she still needs a lot of liquid.

janx Thu 12-May-05 13:39:26

Thanks for the advice - today I took dd to a playgroup and she forgot all about her 11am feed, do I did not offer it. However she got really p**d on the way home and refused a drink of water. I am a bit worried about her fluid intake as she seems to think that the water from her sucky cup is a game or to itch her teething teeth with! I did manage to get her to take some water from a bottle at lunchtime - so I know it isn't the water, more the cup - oh well early days, I am sure she will get the hang of it!

hermykne Thu 12-May-05 21:49:34

janx mears has told me that baby will always get what they need, no matter how short the feed.
i too worried about the fluids, still do, but he seems happy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now