Talk

Advanced search

Really painful in one breast, is it ok to leave it to heal for a bit?

(6 Posts)
Dawnybabe Sun 14-Jun-09 08:36:07

My 2 wk old dd2 latches on fine to the right boob and that one doesn't hurt anymore, but her latch on to my left boob has always been poor (odd shaped nipple) and now the nipple is cracked and bleeding slightly and excruciatingly painful. My bf counciller said try the rugby ball position etc but it's still horrible and I was wondering if it's ok to leave her off it for a day or so in the hope that it might heal up. I've got lots of creams and a really good pump, although tbh that's just as painful. Don't want to let it dry up but so reluctant to let her anywhere near it.

YeahBut Sun 14-Jun-09 08:39:07

I'd express just to keep the flow going - you don't want to end up with a blocked duct or mastitis on top of everything else.

Dawnybabe Sun 14-Jun-09 09:01:52

That's true, I will keep pumping. At least I can control the level of pain that way. God knows what I'd do if it were both breasts, be in constant agony and stress probably. It did used to hurt on the right one but it never cracked or bled and now I think it's toughened up a bit, plus her latch is good that side. I thought the left one would follow suit but unfortunately not yet!

YeahBut Sun 14-Jun-09 09:04:15

It will, though. Are you keeping on top of the pain?

Dawnybabe Sun 14-Jun-09 09:14:01

Well I am if I avoid putting it near the baby! I tried to pump a bit yesterday and I'm on the paracetamol regularly. I guess I just have to persevere and hope it heals a bit.

Dawnybabe Sun 14-Jun-09 11:11:29

Just to add, just been to change my bra cos it was a bit tight and the left boob dripped and dripped everywhere! Obviously full of milk still, so that's a good sign!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now