Talk

Advanced search

Bf baby, dark green poo, cause for concern?

(8 Posts)
rek21 Sat 13-Jun-09 23:30:18

She is nearly 6 weeks (but was 4 weeks prem) and is otherwise fine, weeing, gaining weight, alert. Her poos are normally mustard yellow but in the last few days have had everything from bright yellow to dark green via nasty brown. Is this ok?

blinks Sat 13-Jun-09 23:41:07

normally this is just an indicator that the baby is getting more foremilk and less hindmilk. try keeping baby on one breast longer before switching.

if her condition changes or worsens over the weekend, get in touch with NHS direct/24 to get her assessed properly.

doulalc Sat 13-Jun-09 23:43:37

Probably fine....you will likely see a number of variations once in awhile and that is the key. If it is now and then, not a concern. If it were green for an extended period of time, might want to do a little investigating as to a possible cause. Since she is acting fine I would just wait and see how things are over the next several days.

tiktok Sat 13-Jun-09 23:49:53

There is a whole spectrum of normal colours and in an otherwise healthy, thriving baby the colour is not significant...but of course seek medical advice if she appears to be ill in any way. You could call your HV on Monday and discuss.

cfc Sun 14-Jun-09 10:22:19

I had this and if you do a search you'll see someone said to me on here that it might be something I ate/was eating. She said it was bananas for her and dairy, I eat a banana every morning and have LOTS of dairy during the day so I stopped the banana and cut down the dairy and this put a stop to the green poos.

Do you think this will work for you?

The foremilk/hindmilk thing is, according to advice I've received on here, a myth.

As long as she is gaining weight and pooing regularly (no matter what the colour - though my baby never did have brown poos) I was told not to worry.

HTh?

rek21 Sun 14-Jun-09 21:05:53

Thanks everyone, she seems well enough so I won't panic, but the reassurance is very welcome.

TheProvincialLady Sun 14-Jun-09 21:11:48

My GP told me that green poo is usually caused by a tiny amount of infection in the gut, not remotely dangerous or significant unless the baby is otherwise not well or putting on weight etc. My DS2 had it for about 3/4 weeks and then it suddenly turned yellow again and I changed nothing in that time.

So now I bet you are really confused!

MamaMaiasaura Mon 15-Jun-09 22:31:55

ditto blinks. Keep baby on one breast for feed (unless goes over an hour, then swap).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now