Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My breasts are chew toys!!!

(4 Posts)
scrappydappydoo Sat 13-Jun-09 19:49:18

Please - I need to stop bfing - dd2 is 15mths and teething badly - I have teeth marks on my breast which won't go away and she's drawn blood several times. BF is agony but she won't go to sleep unless attached to me. We've tried cc a little but she screams the place down (neighbours knocked to see if everything was alright - in a nice way). She won't take a dummy. She is bonjellaed, calpoled and ibruprofened as much as possible but it doesn't seem to dent it. I need to stop bfing cos its getting me down. I don't think shes feeding for nutrition - she's using my breasts as a dummy. Please help!

RuthChan Sat 13-Jun-09 20:58:56

I am so sorry to hear about your problem. It sounds quite painful and rather upsetting.
It's clear that you are ready to stop BFing and at 15 months, there's no reason not to, but can you stop her biting you in the meantime?

What do you do when she bites? When my DD started biting me, the feed was swiftly stopped and she was deposited not too gently on the floor. It didn't take too long for her to realise that biting me wasn't worth the hassle.

On the topic of stopping, it really depends how long you are prepared to take over it. Have you already cut out any of the daytime or nighttime feeds? Obviously, it is easier to stop gradually, both because it allows your supply to drop gradually and also because it allows your DD to gradually come to terms with no drinking and to realise that she doesn't actually need to any more.
Cutting down midnight feeds first, followed by midday ones, the morning feed and finally the bedtime feed is probably the easiest way to do it.

However, if you want to stop more quickly, there are ways to do it. Replace the Bfing itself with a cup of warm milk on mummy's knee with a cuddle. Make sure that other aspects of the bedtime routine remain the same and, if necessary cuddle her to sleep to start with. You can worry about getting her to go to sleep on her own at a later stage.

It will be tough for a couple of nights, but don't worry, it won't last more than that. She will soon realise that she doesn't need to BF for either nutrition or sleep.

Good luck with it.

LaurenD Sun 14-Jun-09 17:26:24

Hi
I have been in exactly the same situation - my son is 16 and a half months and at 15 months went through exactly the same thing - I have to agree with RuthChans advice - whip her off the boob immediately without saying a word and plop her on the floor or on the bed (I did try a stern 'no' at first but this induced big giggles!!!) It did take a little longer than a couple of days (a week tops) but it hasn't happened since!
I am however still in the tricky position of being used as a dummy as he is still waking up 4 or 5 times a nighta and will only settle with boob - I think the time has finally come to wean and I am not looking forward to it one bit.............! We co-sleep so I am always available for cuddles but I am 100% certain he will not give up his favourite thing quietly! Any advice always welcome!!!

Good luck with the weaning - fingers crossed it is quick and painless!

scrappydappydoo Sun 14-Jun-09 20:36:08

Thanks for the replies - we're currently down to night time feeds only as its easier to distract her during the day. We're also co-sleeping .
The problem is that if I take her off the breast or try and 'just' cuddle her or give her to someone else she screams the place down and wakes everyone in near vicinity (including neighbours as you can see from my op-she is LOUD!). She is also very good at rummaging and burrowing for my breast so just sitting her on my knee is impossible. I'm feeling really trapped by her - dd1 self weaned at 7mths so I'm really out of my depth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now