Talk

Advanced search

question for biological nurturing fans

(14 Posts)
SalBySea Sat 13-Jun-09 10:45:07

does your baby hate tummy time?

its like he's annoyed that there's no boob there! he likes being on his tummy over my arm. and when he is lying on my chest to feed he will push himself up with his arms so he can do it, but he HATES being put on his tummy on the playmat/rug/carpet!

is this to do with they way I feed him or just a phase? how do I get him to like it?

muppetgirl Sat 13-Jun-09 10:48:09

What's biological nurturing???

Ds 1 was a tummy child, slept on his tumy and enjoyed tummy time especially on his sheepskin rug (muslin under his face) he spent hours chilling on it!

Ds 2 on the other screamed from the first day he went on his tummy, he almost seemed to be in pain. We kept trying and he still hated it so we stopped doing it.

How old is your ds?

SalBySea Sat 13-Jun-09 10:52:52

8 weeks

biological nurturing is where you lie on your back or sit reclined and lie the baby on your tummy and let him head bob around till he latches himself on. As opposed to the MW taught method where you bring the baby to the nipple. you dont cradle him in the MW taught positions, he's free to wriggle and he does it all himself with just maybe a little bit of help if he's way off the mark.

so he lies on his tummy on me, his body on my tummy if I'm lying down or if I'm sitting, his legs are either side of one of my legs. usually with his arms either side of my boob, and uses head bobbing and pushing himself with his arms to find my nipple and latch himself on

muppetgirl Sat 13-Jun-09 10:57:32

sounds great, does it take much more time? (am just thinking how I would be able to do that with ds 3 with ds 2 -non-walking- 20 months and ds 1 -5)

How do you feed when you're out?

SalBySea Sat 13-Jun-09 11:30:44

I never got on with the 4 MW taught positons so this takes far less time for us, his head is not restricted so he can take little breathers and latch himself straight back on - I dont have to go through the whole nose to nipple, bring the head to the nipple thing each time he comes off. He is happier this way and my nipples hurt less this way so it makes feeds easier and shockenjoyableshock

its soo much easier on my back too as even if I started with a straight back, I'd end up hunched over by the 3rd time I got him latched back up. Plus I hurt from supporting his weight

Out and about I sit upright but tilted back a bit if I can, he sits facing me with his legs either side of my legs and he just gets on with it

there is an article called something like "a laid back approach to breastfeeding" on the truthaboutbreastfeeding.com That's where I heard about it when I was at my wits end because feeding was a misery

anyway........tummy time......

SalBySea Sat 13-Jun-09 11:32:03

sorry, thetruthaboutbreastfeeding.com

foxytocin Sat 13-Jun-09 16:35:53

neither of my girls liked tummy time. dd1 screamed the instant you put her on her tummy so i never bothered.

they are/were also v early with gross motor skills. dd2 is now 8 mos old and already cruising.

foxytocin Sat 13-Jun-09 16:40:41

dd2's mode of transport is a wrap sling so always tummy to tummy with me so her tummy time was vertical. around 13 wks she started to push her feet and knees off my tummy.

DitsyMe Sat 13-Jun-09 21:11:58

My understanding is that being in a sling counts as tummy time.
Tummy time isn't rigidly about baby being on their tummy for a set period of time, its about babies doing something different to lying flat on their back.
'In arms' time or sling time is just as good.

SalBySea Sat 13-Jun-09 21:51:31

Ditsyme - isnt part of the point of tummy time that they do little push-ups? so not just being in the prone position

muppetgirl Sun 14-Jun-09 22:15:06

interesting about sling time being tummy tme as that's how ds 2 was carried around for 11 months. He's physically always been behind. slow to hold his head, sit up, situnaided etc. He's 20 monts and not walking and this is very hard as are 36 weeks prgt with ds 3.

Interesting from the point of view that it probably has nothing to to with the lack of tummy time...

Ds 1 loved tt (as I said in my earlier post) and has always been physically very able but also incredibly motvated!

SalBySea Sun 14-Jun-09 22:32:56

I really dont see how sling time counts? they are not using the same skills and muscles as a baby pushing itself up from the floor is do they?

IlanaK Sun 14-Jun-09 22:35:35

Yes, they are using the same muscles. When a baby is in a sling, they do push away from the person carrying them, turn to see what is going on, etc. Very much the same as when you lay them on their tummy.

A friend of mine carried her ds2 in a sling around the clock - he really was never put down except in bed with her. He crawled at 4 months old and walked at 8 months old so it in no way delayed his physical development.

DitsyMe Mon 15-Jun-09 09:33:50

When a baby is held in arms or in a sling they are using lots of muscles - often micro adjustments - but the constant gentle movement is giving them a constant gentle work out.
My understanding is that the main reason for the advice for regular tummy time is to get baby's off their backs to stop flat heads. Since the sleep on back advice has been given, more and more babies are spending most of their time on their back either in a cot, in a carseat, in a bouncer or on a mat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now