Talk

Advanced search

please help i'm on the verge of giving dd a ff

(15 Posts)
smallblessings Fri 12-Jun-09 17:36:02

please excuse my tyoing - i'm feeding. smile

dd is 12 weeks and ebf. i had her weighed yesterday and she has put 8 onces on in 2 weeks - normally puts double this on. for the last few days she has been crying at the breast and a bit unsettled. is my milk diminishing - reeally don't want to give up bf. help.

Maybe she's having a growth spurt? I seem to remember this happened at 6 weeks and 12 weeks and both those tiems my DD was fussy at the breast. Once your milk supply has caught up with her increased demands she will be more settled and put on more weight.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 12-Jun-09 17:45:36

Smallblessings - don't panic!!

It's perfectly normal for weight gain to slow down, 4oz a week is a good gain. How heavy is she?

If you are worried about supply then try switch feeding more, offer 3 or 4 sides at a feed if DD wants it.

Have you checked her mouth for thrush? That can make babies feed fussily - or perhaps she is teething and has sore gums?

You are doing so well, hang in there

smallblessings Fri 12-Jun-09 17:46:16

SNSS Thanks. I do think it could be a groth spurt but what about the weight gain, would'nt she still grow at the same rate?

smallblessings Fri 12-Jun-09 17:48:50

Hi Ali,

Thank you for the lovley post. grin I am going to try and hang in there, just worried that she is not getting enough.

tiktok Fri 12-Jun-09 17:52:06

smallblessings - no baby grows at the same rate all the way through. No baby continues to gain 8 oz a week. Fortnightly weighing is too often - good practice is to weigh healthy babies no more often than once a month anyway in the first 6 mths.

A slowing down of weight gain is normal and healthy.

Just feed in response to her needs.

No reason on earth to think your milk is 'diminishing' or that there is anything wrong.

It's your confindence, not your milk, that needs a boost

smallblessings Fri 12-Jun-09 17:56:26

Tiktok

Thanks. I knew MNtters would give me that boost and information that I need. smile HV said that weight gain is fine but not a lot and to have her weighed reguarly - I got worried. smile I will carry on.

Must admit I thought fortnightly weighing sounded too often but as I'm not a HV I didn't want to say so. Trust your instinct more, if your baby is happy and thriving then she is fine. smile

tiktok Fri 12-Jun-09 18:09:36

smallblessings, if weight gain is 'fine' then why the HV's 'but' in 'but not a lot'. Why does a healthy baby have to gain 'a lot'? If weight gain is fine, why weigh any more regularly than the once a month that is recommended as being quite often enough for healthy babies?

smallblessings Sun 14-Jun-09 12:57:03

Just to update you all. DD has settled down and I am still breastfeeding which I'm v.happy about. smile

Bucharest Sun 14-Jun-09 13:04:56

smile

This will make you shock. Here in Italy, everyone (except me) hires scales from the pharmacies and weighs their babies after every feed!!!

And they all end up mixed feeding after just a few days/weeks....I wonder why?!!

SB- hope you're getting lots of rest too while you feed and are being brought tasty morsels by your loved ones while you and dd feed! x

smallblessings Sun 14-Jun-09 13:27:02

Bucharest shock I could'nt be doing with all that weighing.

I am getting a fair amount of rest (sort of). DH has just made fajitas - yum. smile

Comewhinewithme Sun 14-Jun-09 13:31:08

Hi smallblessings . Glad DD is feeding better hope you are feeling better too .
I know what you mean about worrying I overthink everything HV/MW says The MW was meant to discharge me last Wednesday but wants to come and weigh dd again on Tuesday because she is still half an ounce from getting back to her birthweight even though she had put on 3.5 oz on in 7 days . The half an ounce makes all the difference grin hmm.

smallblessings Sun 14-Jun-09 13:38:40

Hi CWWM, I'm glad your DD is doing well, what are these MW/HVs like? 1/2 once is nothing is it? Lola sounds like she is doing fine.smile How are you and the rest of your brood? I'm feeling good on the whole, I had a bit of a down day on friday but I'm ok now. I'm having a bit of a lazy weekend (PIL are here), must get back on the slatterns thread!

Comewhinewithme Sun 14-Jun-09 13:44:07

I know it is very silly .Lola is fine I am loving BF can't believe I didn't stick to it with the others but she seems to be a boobmonster and has been perfect at it since day 1 .

Rest are ok apart from ds who has a bug I am going back to slatterns properly tomorrow morning as DP goes back to work so am alone for first time <eekk> have just posted mini list on there though for this afternoon .

Hope everything keeps going well with feeding for you see you on slatterns .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now