Talk

Advanced search

Bottle Chemicals

(16 Posts)
Pinkcaz Fri 12-Jun-09 10:03:42

Good Morning All,

I heard a while ago before I was pregnant (so didn't honestly pay too much attention - bad me!) that in America they had banned a chemical in babies bottles but we were not doing it in the U.K yet.

Can anyone please advise what the chemical was and its apparent affect?

Has anyone avoided this or know which companies - if any- in the U.K. do not use this chemical please?

Thanks in advance

x

amidaiwish Fri 12-Jun-09 10:14:28

i think you are referring to BPA - info here

it is quite easy to get BPA free bottles now e.g. avent
though they do have a slightly orange tinge to the plastic you might not like.

personally i have stopped putting plastic in the microwave especially thin plastic that seems to melt slightly.

dairycow Fri 12-Jun-09 10:18:31

Hi Pinkaz, I think you are talking about 'BPA' - I think this is filtering through to the UK now as most brands are introducing 'BPA free' bottles. It is labelled as this on the packaging. I'm not sure what effect it has, but I think it is to do with repeated heating of the plastic.

Pinkcaz Fri 12-Jun-09 11:21:39

Thank you so much - I really appriciate it!!

Now I know what to look for it will be so much easier - thanks!!

Gosh who knew it all would be so confusing hehe

x

Stigaloid Fri 12-Jun-09 11:26:16

Actually i think it was the other way around. The cehmical is stil found in USA brands such as Dr Browns but UK manufactured bottles don't contain them.

Pinkcaz Fri 12-Jun-09 11:39:16

Oh ok - typical me to get myself tangled! Thx

Tabitha8 Fri 12-Jun-09 18:13:28

Babies R Us sell BPA free bottles. Avent and Born Free.

Seona1973 Fri 12-Jun-09 18:29:03

Canada has banned bpa in bottles but the UK has not. Mam, avent, tommee tippee closer to nature, born free all do bpa free bottles

joyjac Fri 12-Jun-09 19:14:43

Dr Browns bottles are BPA free

Seona1973 Fri 12-Jun-09 19:51:43

born free ones are bpa free but dr browns are not www.drbrowns.co.uk/faqs.html - they are made of polycarbonate according to the website which contains bpa. Dr Browns and born free look the same but are not made of the same material

joyjac Sat 13-Jun-09 23:17:53

Link to the info on BPA-free Dr Brown's
here
I guess this is US only then?
this is Ireland info which is also BPA-free. Wonder why it isn't available in the UK?

Pinkcaz Mon 15-Jun-09 09:51:57

Thanks so much everyone! This has made my bottle shopping alot more easy to handle

x

charliex0x Tue 18-Aug-09 13:49:40

Born Free do great BPA free bottles - in both glass and plastic. I am still using their bottles on my second baby, and they are still going strong. The anti colic plug in their bottles is fantastic; my babies have never suffered with gas or colic. Their BPA Free steriliser is great too.

BertieBotts Tue 18-Aug-09 19:53:22

Also, you can buy glass bottles which have no nasties at all in, but obviously you have the problem that they are heavier and may break!

pania Tue 18-Aug-09 22:26:53

Glass bottles are so thick though, they're pretty hard to break.

hairband Wed 19-Aug-09 08:47:49

Boots do Avent BPA free bottles - we bought up the few our local branch had, and then ordered more online; very happy with them! Bit annoyed as had bought a load of normal ones just a few weeks prior to finding out about the whole BPA thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now