Talk

Advanced search

HELP nearly at end of breastfeeding has anyone ever just used one breast???????

(5 Posts)
Nanc123 Fri 12-Jun-09 09:07:53

Hi - my DS is 11 months and I was only going to breastfeed to a year but I don't really want to have to stop suddenly because its going pearshaped! I've cut down to twice a day but the least favoured breast has not been dealing with that very well.......white spots lumps low milk supply etc - I am typing with shooting pains at the moment!! this has gone on for over a month and I knew this morning if I tried to feed him from it it would start hurting

As the left boob is OK can I leave the right breast to heal and just carry on for a couple of months on the left?????????? has anyone done this??? does one effect the other? Help no-one warned me about this when cutting down - thanks xx

kathryn2804 Fri 12-Jun-09 09:10:43

You can feed from one breast no problem. they are independant and will prodice whatever is taken out of them.

Sounds like you've got blocked duct in the problem breast. If you don't feed from it, just keep an eye and make sure you don't develop mastitis. Make sure you massage any hard areas in the bath or shower.

peppapighastakenovermylife Fri 12-Jun-09 10:49:25

I did for a good few months - a friend did for a couple of years! I did end up somewhat lopsided lol but not hugely so and it evened out when I stopped grin

If you are only doing a couple of feeds or so then one breast will be fine - and I have heard of mums who only ever feed from one side - supply just ends up matching demand

cutebaby Fri 12-Jun-09 15:26:20

For me b also had favourite breast (something to do with milk supply being different) so had to stop feeding from both as b would only latch on to one.
There was no problem though. Kept feeding for another 3 months until 1 year old. So you shouldnt have any problems!!

Nanc123 Fri 12-Jun-09 17:07:32

thankyou for advice thats reasuring Im not sure I can continue the pain and struggle with the right one and I'd like to finish with nice memories of feeding!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now