Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Antihistamines when BF

(12 Posts)
vicdubya Tue 10-May-05 21:57:55

Does anyone know if any antihistamines are safe to take when BF? I don;t really want to go to Dr it's such a faff but looked at an old packet of over the counter ones and it says do NOT take when pregnant or BF.

My hayfever is quite bad this year.

Twiglett Tue 10-May-05 22:03:26

you need to go to doc - there is an antihistamine they can prescribe - its not otc though

HTH

laughorcry Tue 10-May-05 22:05:12

Don't know the answer I'm afraid, but bumping because I would really like to know myself.

Know that you aren't really supposed to use any of them whilst pregnant, but that if you have to you should use Piriton, as it's the one that 's been around longest. Am 36 weeks preg at the mo and bub seems to be keeping the hayfever at bay, but have a feeling it will come with a vengeance once he arrives.

Did you get hayfever whilst pregnant?

misdee Tue 10-May-05 22:06:11

have been given piriton OTC by pharmicist. she looked it up and said it was the one to take.

JulieF Tue 10-May-05 22:48:57

According to the Breastfeeding Network drugline most antihistamines are safe. The best ones I think are the topical ones (nasal sprays) but many others are fine.

Virtually ALL will say on the packet not to take because it isn;t worth their whille and expense doing the required trials, they all tend to play safe.

Look Here for more info

hunkermunker Tue 10-May-05 22:55:49

Pititon makes me VERY drowsy - one thing to watch if you want to drive.

vicdubya Wed 11-May-05 20:39:24

Laughorcry no I didn;t because I was pregnant through the late summer & winter!!

I didn;t get it much at all last year when ds was tiny, but this year for some reason my eyes are dreadful, not so bad since the weather has been crappier, but a week or two ago I was streaming.

If it comes back when the warmer weather returns I will have to see the doc. But I can;t take anything that would make me drowsy [horror] I am always knackered as it is and find it hard not to fall asleep after lunch..!

alfiesmum Wed 11-May-05 21:41:03

I had hayfever when I was pregnant and then bf my ds, the dr said that I could only use eye drops (they didn't help much).

JulieF - that is really good to hear as I am pregnant again and hayfever is just starting up again, do you think that the same applies to pregnancy?

JulieF Wed 11-May-05 21:57:31

I was prescribed beconase whilst pregnant and the Dr said if that didn;t work then piriton would be fine. However I don't like piriton as it makes me fall asleep!

lacebell Wed 11-May-05 23:00:07

When I had a bad reaction to Sushi, the doctors said not to take any antihistamines. There apparently can be traces of it in your breastmilk. However, they also said there is no evidence that this would effect the baby. I would go to the doctors. Mine said that Priton has no warnings on it because when it came out so long ago that the BF tests where not done at that time.

GeorginaA Wed 11-May-05 23:09:20

My GP recommended Piriton when I had a bad photosensitivity reaction last September. Sleepiness is an issue though, I agree.

Prettybird Wed 11-May-05 23:43:07

The pharmacist wouldn't give me Piriton, but my best friend and her husband (both GPs) said it was fine: it might transfer a tiny bit to ds (he was 11 months at the time) but at worst it might make him a wee bit drowsy..... and was that a problem to me?!.....

So I went back to a different chemist and didn't mention I was breastfeeding!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now