Talk

Advanced search

Meh! Conflicting info on whether I can take medicine for catarrh

(4 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Thu 11-Jun-09 16:33:39

Tmi coming up ... I don't know whether my years of 20 a day have permanently weakened my lungs or something, but I seem to have been very susceptible to coughs over the past six months. Even when the actual cough itself is gone, I am then left with weeks of catarrh, which means I am constantly hacking up gobbets of phlegm into my mouth. It is minging, for me and for anyone unlucky enough to be in the vicinity.

I cracked in Tesco the other day and bought some Meltus for chesty coughs and catarrh. Active ingredients are guaiphenesin and cetylpyridinium chloride. Only googled guaiphenesin so far but the top two links in Google say that it is best avoided and that it is perfectly fine. Gah.

Any medics care to take a punt on whether I can safely take it? Also will it affect my supply? DD is nearly 9 mo so assuming it's fairly well established by now.

TIA

CMOTdibbler Thu 11-Jun-09 18:14:55

Try the BFN leaflet for definitive advice

moaningminnie2020 Thu 11-Jun-09 18:19:19

Have looked at them for you - the cetyl wotsit - I don't know if it is present in breastmilk or not, but it is an active ingredient in anbesol teething gel which is suitable for babies.

The guafenesin is on the Breastfeeding Network website and listed as OK during breastfeeding, its on the cough and cold remedies pdf.

So that may be some help? cough medicines don't tend to do much good though,but at least you can decide whether or not to try it.

DitaVonCheese Thu 11-Jun-09 18:40:45

Thank you! I knew I had seen a leaflet somewhere recently but couldn't remember where <bookmarks>

I don't really have a cough any more but would rather not be so damn phlegmmy (plus it has alcohol in wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now