Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding my bigger baby... position problems

(5 Posts)
nosleeptilbedtime Thu 11-Jun-09 13:34:45

Hi, have been breastfeeding my DS and he is now 9 weeks old.
Run into a bit of a problem, as he is now bigger and heavier the cradle hold doesn't seem to be working for us anymore.
He seems really uncomfortable and he gets a bit twisted round. His arm seems to get sqquashed under him iyswim.
the way we get round it is by feeding lying down which works fine but not too practical if you are out and about.
Any advice appriciated ( am new to this as only managed to feed DD for a couple of weeks and she was very tiny)

mrsflux Thu 11-Jun-09 13:39:38

i've got a big 9 week old too! - 91st percentile!

we manage cradle hold but wrap his lower arm around my side IFKWIM.

we're moving on to formula - long story but still doing some BF.

found it ridiculous while out and about at about 7 weeks, using john lewis feeding room - i'm bit anxious about public feeds, and they have chairs with arms on them. there was no where near enough space to fit me and my DS in cradle hold. and that was at 7 weeks - no idea how they expect you to fit a 6month old into that tiny space!!!

nosleeptilbedtime Thu 11-Jun-09 15:10:53

thanks mrsflux, just tried that arm wrap thing and it worked brilliantly!

Castiel Thu 11-Jun-09 15:14:03

Yes, arm wrap! Been feeding my 99th centile plus baby for 2 years and when I was out and about used to roll up my coat to put under her and wrapped her arm round my body.

Babieseverywhere Thu 11-Jun-09 15:47:10

If you get a chair with an arm on it, try the underarm rugby hold and lie the baby along the arm. That works for my 101% (literally off the chart) baby into toddlerhood

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now