Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

15 week old feeds more at night than day

(15 Posts)
rosycheeks81 Wed 10-Jun-09 21:14:26

Hi,
I'm new to mumsnet but desperate for some advice as I'm chronically sleep deprived and struggling!

DD is 15 weeks old. Since about 6 weeks she has woken every 2 hours at night (there has been the odd occassion where she has gone longer, but few and far between). She is bf apart from one bottle at 7pm which I introduced (rightly or wrongly) as I have very slow flow in the evening and it was taking me over an hour to feed her at that time. It also gives me more confidence that she has had enough at this time

Up until a couple of weeks ago I was feeding her as often as possible in the day (without hher asking for it) in the belief that this may tank her up and make her sleep longer at night. This hasn't worked as she didn't really take proper feeds, was feeding when sleepy so falling asleep etc. So the past couple of weeks I've just fed on her cues during the day which has been every 3-4 hours.She is fairly distracted and difficult to feed for long in the day, though I try and persevere and get her to take as much as I can.

I've also worked really hard at getting her to settle in her cot (without tears!) as I thought this may help. She goes in the cot awake but still wakes up, sometimes only an hour after going down though she is easy to settle at this time.

I feed at 10.30 - 11 and after this its 2 hourly like clockwork.

I do bring her into bed with me when I just can't stay awake to feed/settle any longer, but I really don't sleep well and I'm sure neither does DD as we wake each other. I'm just too tired to constantly resettle, and if she does stay in her cot she is awake a 5am to play anyway!

Today however she has fed a 7am, 10.15am, 1.30 and then now I've just woken her to feed at 5.10pm as I was concerned how long she was going without a feed. She did feed well. She also slept for nearly 3 hours from 2.15pm, why can't she do that at night?!

Just wondered if anyone had this experience and any advice on what to do. The lack of sleep is really effecting me and I am randomly bursting into tears. Its also affecting my relationship with DP as I am taking it all out on him.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long message
Diane xx

NB - not sure if it's relevant, but DD didn't latch on until 4 weeks old and took a couple of weeks for me to build my milk supply back up, the increased night wakings conincides with me dropping the bottles (before that she was going 3-4 hours)

Luise85 Thu 11-Jun-09 09:45:22

I'm afraid no advise from me, we have the same problem at nearly 7months! hmm
I'll be watching this thread for answers...

Badgerqueen Thu 11-Jun-09 13:45:28

Bumping for you

rosycheeks81 Thu 11-Jun-09 20:08:32

Anyone at all got any advice? x

BakewellTarts Thu 11-Jun-09 20:25:46

Diane,

Sorry that you are having such a miserable time.

I have a terrible sleeper who wakes for feeds every 2/3 hours. I think some babies are just like this. My consolation is that DD1 was the same and now sleeps well.

BTW doubt the bottle makes a difference as my DD2 has never had one and we are in the same position.

poshtottie Thu 11-Jun-09 21:18:03

hi Rosy,

You said she slept three hours in the afternoon?

Is this everyday?

What time is her first feed in the morning?

Sorry for all the questions but would like to help if I can.

rosycheeks81 Thu 11-Jun-09 21:58:07

Hi Poshtottie,

She doesn't sleep that long every day, her naps tend to be around the same time but it's the length of them that vary - I was out today and she had two 45 min naps in the time that she slept for yesterday. She tends to nap for longer if in one place rather than on the go. I am trying to get her to take enough sleep in the day, as a rule I try not to let her nap past 5.30 with an aim of a 7.30 bedtime. She'll normally nap around 9, 11.30-12ish, 2.30ish and then maybe a catnap at 4.30 - 5.

Her first feed also varies but I guess about 6 - 6.30am she'll stir and want a feed, but sometimes it's 7 (but she'll normally have fed at 5 if that's the case).

Hope this information is helpful to you

poshtottie Thu 11-Jun-09 22:12:13

That doesn't sound too bad actually. Its just in your op you said she slept 3 hours in the afternoon.

I would let her sleep at 9 am until no later that 10am. Try to get her to have a long sleep at 12 until 2-2.30 ish then a quick cat nap of around 15-30 mins but wake her up at 5pm.

Do you have a bedtime routine? bath etc.

Could you express at 10.30 and get your dh to do that feed so you can go to bed early.

Would you be willing to try a dummy? ( I am not a fan but some of the babies I have looked after have gone back to sleep with a dummy)

Please look after yourself too.

I know its no consolation but it will pass.

rosycheeks81 Thu 11-Jun-09 23:32:00

Thanks for this, I recognise this as a gina ford type routine? I was away last week relaxing with relatives and she did naturally fall into a similar pattern, but it has gone a bit haywire this week so I've just let her sleep when she seems to be out for the count. She has been favouring the later naps though so I'll try and move it forward

We have a bedtime routine, split feed before, then nappy off time, then bath, then massage with lullabys playing, then rest of feed, then a cuddle, then down to bed (and she usually goes off pretty instantly once in the cot)

I have no problem with the dummy and she does use one to drop off to sleep, but it doesn't seem to work in the night. Well it has a few times, but mostly she will just spit it out which is what leads me to believe she is actually hungry

I do sometimes express for the 10.30 feed but she rarely takes more than 4oz if awake, 2oz if it's a dreamfeed(i can express about 6oz at this time). My friends doc said the baby will take more from the breast than the bottle so I've gone back to giving a breastfeed at this time. to be honest i wasn't getting an earlier night as i was having to make the time to express as well

I'll try and really get her naps the right way round, maybe this will have a positive effect

so frustrating as i feel like i am doing all the right things!
thanks for your advice, fingers crossed tonight goes OK

poshtottie Fri 12-Jun-09 07:48:11

It is from GF. blush

Quite a few of my clients ask for it though I do have to be honest and say it does work for some babies, but you do have to have some flexibility and I also state the obvious, THE BABIES HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK.

How was your night?

You are doing everything right. Are you getting anytime for yourself? Could you go for a massage or something similiar?

I have a ds of nearly 3 so I have some personal experience aswell.

rosycheeks81 Fri 12-Jun-09 08:05:15

Hi Posh,

Well, the night wasn't great but I may have had a revelation...

She woke at 1am (after last feed at 10.30), fed quite well, then tried to settle her and she just wouldn't settle. She was then wide awake until about 2am, when I got her in her cot, I just watched her lie there, opening and closing her eyes, til she had them shut for a while, was about to go back to sleep when she suddenly started rubbing her eyes and hitting herself in the face. She does do it a bit when first falling asleep but not this badly, so I got a cellular blanket and swaddled her and she went straight to sleep, woke to feed at 4 and then 7, so every 3 hours which is a marked improvement

feel very silly for not trying this sooner, but I did use to swaddle her using a grobag swaddle and she would fight with it and get herself free so I stopped, but perhaps because the blanket is more rigid she feels more secure?

Well I'm going to try it again tonight just to see if it was a fluke...

poshtottie Fri 12-Jun-09 08:21:39

Does she really cry when you put her down or does she settle herself?

I had a client who missed out the dream feed as she wanted to go to bed and would end up feeding around 1am but she said she felt better as she had had a chunk of sleep.

I must admit staying up to feed at 10.30 is a bit of a killer isn't it?

Have a lovely day. Try to get some mummy time if you can.

rosycheeks81 Fri 12-Jun-09 08:57:00

She doesn't cry at all, not once. Worked really hard at that, which is why i was so disheartened when she carried on waking up so much.

She's just gone down for her nap so I'm going to paint my nails

you have a lovely day too, i'll update tomorrow and let you know if tonight is any better with the swaddling

Badgerqueen Fri 12-Jun-09 12:43:18

Just checked in to see how things are going. You know it does sound like you are doing brilliantly you know (I wish I had been in as good order first time round). Prob doesn't feel like it though. Sorry no more useful advice, but I just wanted to say that - you don't get much praise just for being a mum!

rosycheeks81 Fri 12-Jun-09 13:47:49

thanks badgerqueen, I really appreciate that, it's hard to know really and I do spend a lot of time thinking I'm doing everything wrong!

she is a happy baby though and i love her to bits, so that's the most important thing :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now