Talk

Advanced search

what are the nursery doing to my milk?

(9 Posts)
pingviner Wed 10-Jun-09 17:50:33

DS 7mths has started nursery and is taking bottled EBM, which I send in frozen each day. Today the nursery nurse showed me his bottle from earlier which she had heated and what seemed to be the entire cream layer of a 4 oz bottle was trapped in the teat. He had apparently drunk the rest- but if thats happening a lot then hes not getting the full composition of the milk.

Is it just they are not mixing the milk enough when its defrosted or are they perhaps heating it too much? They seem to heat it in the bottle, whereas if my DP who normally gives the baby EBM were to do it, he heats the milk slightly in the freezer bag then shakes/squishes it to make sure its mixed. DS will take EBM at room temperature happily.

I dont give him bottles so was a little unclear as to the best thing to tell them/how best to prepare them- any suggestions or tips?

alittlebitshy Wed 10-Jun-09 19:49:50

What we've done is:
Put frozen bag in jug of hot water.
Leave for a few mins.
Shake, squeeze it and mix it up, make sure no frozen lumps
Decant into bottle.
Voila.

not hot milk, prob just off chilled.

thisisyesterday Wed 10-Jun-09 19:57:54

it shouldn;'t matter if it's heated in bag or bottle or whatever.
they just need to be sure to mix it.
you shouldn't shake it, it breaks up the long-chain fatty acids, or so i've read.
a little swirl around should be fine to mix it all up

CMOTdibbler Wed 10-Jun-09 20:47:01

It def needs a good swirl round to mix it up. I severely doubt that shaking would change the composition at all (no apparent evidence for this), but it will incorporate air, so not a good idea.

pingviner Wed 10-Jun-09 22:38:47

I think they havent swirled or shaken it at all tbh. She seemed a bit surprised when I explained about the different layers and how they separate.
I'll go in and run through it with them as it kind of negates the point of me expressing milk if he doesnt get half of it

DrJen Thu 11-Jun-09 09:47:42

Are they heating it in boiling water/bottle warmer thingy?
This can destory EBM by breaking the fatty acid chains & cause it to separate.
Best to use water that is hot, but cool enough that you can put your finger in without scalding yourself.

giveloveachance Thu 11-Jun-09 09:52:54

Surely the nursery should know the best way to do this, you cant be the only mum who brings in ebm. Best speak to them directly about your concerns, it also sounds that they are being very thorough, surely they should have noticed.
I would be annoyed that they were suprised that it separates. They should know this stuff - they are charging you for a professional service so they best get professional quick!

giveloveachance Thu 11-Jun-09 09:53:28

thats, they are NOT being very thorough....

ruddynorah Thu 11-Jun-09 09:56:28

could he ue a cup instead so there's nowhere for it to clog?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now