Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding Lying Down

(8 Posts)
jemum Wed 10-Jun-09 09:16:09

Help! I have a 3 week old. I've been feeding lying down, which has been brilliant.
But in the last week it hasn't been working very well.

Now that he is bigger, I seem to have problems latching him on. Its very frustrating for both of us. He latches on but keeps coming off, is very unsettled and feeds for much longer than when I feed sitting up.

There are also wet spots on the bed from milk around his head. That also makes me think that the latch isn't right.

I've had my HV and BF counsellors watch me and they haven't been able to give any advice. However, when they latch him on I notice a difference and he is much more settled.

Any tips?

whomovedmychocolate Wed 10-Jun-09 09:25:19

Support your breast with your hand. Make sure you have cushions behind him so he doesn't roll off. The back of his head is heavy and he can't hold it for long so you have to support him but his weight will naturally pull him back if he isn't supported behind properly.

Don't worry it will come - you have got past the hump by three weeks, you must be doing it mostly right if it doesn't hurt.

BTW he probably drops a bit of milk out the side of his mouth when feeding, quite common, he'll grow out of it.

Bramshott Wed 10-Jun-09 09:33:45

I found with DD2 that I had to hold her head (in my lower hand) to latch her on, and only let go once she was properly sucking. Milk dribbling is normal though provided it's only spots and not all of it! Do you put a folded muslin under his head? Stick with it - feeding lying down is great grin!

jemum Wed 10-Jun-09 10:09:16

Thanks for the tips! Its so frustrating because it was working so well until last week and I was getting much more sleep.

I haven't put a folded muslin under his head, but I'll try that. My boobs are a bit big so that might help him to reach them better.

motherlovebone Wed 10-Jun-09 10:42:41

his back should be straight, head tilted.
pull his bottom towards you, so hes kinda diagonal.
bring him to you, dont go to him.
hope that makes sense, appologies if you are doing this already smile

brewsterbear Wed 10-Jun-09 11:36:22

I (weirdly) found this happened at about 4 weeks and it just seemed to resolve itself. I remember sliding my dd up and down so she could get comfy and in the right postion (she wasn't too high or low ) and making sure I brought her to me.

I have big boobs too and sometimes I had to put a hand underneath one cos there a bit squishy!

smile

jemum Thu 11-Jun-09 09:19:19

Thanks for everyone's advice. My Lo fed really well last night.

I probably got an extra 2-3 hours of sleep! I feel like a new woman. Fingers crossed that this continues.

Bramshott Thu 11-Jun-09 20:31:16

That's fantastic news Jemum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now