Talk

Advanced search

a quick question re milk supply

(10 Posts)
CatIsSleepy Wed 10-Jun-09 08:43:59

am currently breast-feeding my 3 month old dd2. At the moment in the evening i express milk (around 9.30) for dh to give her later on (around 11) so i can get to bed at a decent hour.
am thinking of dropping this expressing and having dh give her a bottle of formula instead for this one feed but am worried about the impact on my milk supply-can anyone tell me if it will make much difference? the expressing is taking longer and longer and I am getting very fed up of it...

CatIsSleepy Wed 10-Jun-09 09:44:59

anyone...?

CatIsSleepy Wed 10-Jun-09 10:01:48

bump!

LupusinaLlamasuit Wed 10-Jun-09 10:08:47

I don't really know but didn't want it to go unanswered - it might be something to speak to a BF counsellor about?

I imagine though (totally speculative so don't quote me!) that if by 3 months BF is well established and there are no problems and you're aware of signs of needing to build up supply, it may not have much effect. I guess there is always a slight risk of loss of supply but I imagine that is strongest in the first few weeks. Certainly with DS2 by 5 months I had dropped all feeds except morning and evening and my supply continued well.

CatIsSleepy Wed 10-Jun-09 10:16:33

thanks lupusina

mummylin2495 Mon 15-Jun-09 00:10:57

quick hijack to say congratulations to you cat from me and tnog on the birth of your new dd

FairLadyRantALot Mon 15-Jun-09 00:13:34

hmmm. don't think it mattes to your milk supply, but it depends more on your believes about the benefits of breastfeeding etc...
depending on those you might want to wait a bit longer unti you introduce formula...

AbricotsSecs Mon 15-Jun-09 00:31:33

Message withdrawn

Wheelybug Mon 15-Jun-09 11:03:46

My dd2 is also 3 months old - I have been giving her a bottle of formula from 4 weeks mainly because I wanted her to be happy taking a bottle and I find expressing too depressing (my dd1 was 100% ffed from 7 weeks and mixed fed 0-7weeks with ebm as she wouldnt latch probably due to low birth weight/IUGR).

I didn't have any problems with supply even from 4 weeks with changing 1 feed (we did the same sort of time as you). HOwever, I do seem to have ample supply - as someone else has said, everyone is different in this respect.

Mind you, I am now trying to decide what to do as we are now putting dd to bed at 7.30 ish - ideally i want to give the bottle then and then b-feed a dream feed when I go to bed but last night she wouldn't feed when I went to bed so I had fed her about 4pm and then didn't again until 2am. Wondering whether this is going to impact supply but then some babies (ha ha) are sleeping 12 hours by now and presumably its fine for those people.

munteria Mon 15-Jun-09 13:55:09

Hi

just to say I (well DP actually!) have been giving DS a FF at 11pm from 8 weeks. previous to that (from 4 weeks) I was expressing at 10pm then DP would give him the BF feed in a bottle at 11pm. but got fed up with this as I was staying up just as late! DS is now 3 months and i have had no supply issues just doing the daytime feeds. again, everyone is different but i would think at 3 months your supply is well established.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now