Talk

Advanced search

Day 4: Red hot breasts of steel. Remind me how long this lasts...

(8 Posts)
norktasticninja Tue 09-Jun-09 19:28:25

I'm BF DS on demand and now I've got milk (yipee), but picking up my wriggly 18 month old DD with enormous engorged norks is not a pleasant experience. Anyone care to remind me how long this phase lasts?

NotQuiteCockney Tue 09-Jun-09 19:30:40

It can vary - my DS2 was an efficient feeder, so I never got this stage. DS1 was not so efficient, and it lasted a few days. Wearing a bra 24/7 helps, if you're not doing that already.

Congratulations on your new baby - and having the mental focus to come up with funny thread titles too! You're doing very well!

thisisyesterday Tue 09-Jun-09 19:31:26

oh not long a few days at most iirc

ilovesummer Tue 09-Jun-09 19:36:11

They will settle down really soon. I would reckon 3 days max.
Congratulations!

Mij Tue 09-Jun-09 19:37:21

Ouch. Yep, good bra including sleep bra should help (even if you're not huge, engorgement notwithstanding) and a few days I think I remember, then it settles. Until the first growth spurt in a couple of weeks and then there might be another couple of days [profit of doom emoticon].

A bit of breast massage in a hot shower can take the pressure off for a few hours...

norktasticninja Tue 09-Jun-09 19:43:22

LOL thanks all!

Wearing a bra 24/7 and industrial strength breast pads is the only way I stay vaguely dry! I fell asleep mid-feed this morning (laying down) and woke to find DS and a big patch of bed saturated with milk. My breast still felt normally full hmm

I tend towards over-supply (or I did with DD anyway) so I'm wary of expressing in any way... I'm giving my shiny new breast shells a go as we speak, I've never tried them before though.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 10-Jun-09 10:43:12

Ah, ok, if you have a history of oversupply, there are things you can do to reduce your supply, particularly once you're sure your DS is getting enough milk.

From what I remember, the basic idea is to feed repeatedly on one side for a while, then switch to the other. Something like three hours per side? (And, as you say, don't express!)

Mij Wed 10-Jun-09 10:53:51

The one-sided feeding thing can help in some circumstances - see kellymom.com for info on that, tis a really helpful site all round.

Wasn't suggesting expressing as such, just encouraging a bit of flow to ease the pressure smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now