Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding fights.

(5 Posts)
Asklaw Tue 09-Jun-09 14:42:58

My DS is 8 weeks old this week. In the last week or so he has started to feed nicely then about 5 minutes or so into the feed he will pull off and scream and not settle back to the breast. it happens mostly in the evening feeds but it is becoming a bit of a fight and quite stressful as then I worry he is still hungry but too angry to feed. I know there is milk there as I can see it in his mouth and my nipple. is it wind making him do this? Someone said it may be the 'hosepipe' effect. Any clues as to what I can do?

tiktok Tue 09-Jun-09 15:01:04

'Firehose' effect, yes? When the let down overwhelms him?

TortillaDeMaiz Tue 09-Jun-09 18:53:11

let him come off the breast and try to latch him back after the let down has slowed down. Always have a towel or muslin cloth nearby, or you would end up spraying milk all over the place.

bellygot2go Tue 09-Jun-09 19:04:56

DS 12weeks started doing this about the same age. I found winding him normally helped as milk flow too fast for him caused more wind.

Darwina Tue 09-Jun-09 21:13:06

You could try hand expressing some of the foremilk, for just a minute or so, down the sink, then the flow may slow down. I think this used to happen with my dc1 when he had growth spurts, as my milk supply took a few days to react and get the quantities right again.
What a mare, as it's the evening feed that will help him sleep for longer. Good luck - I don't think that this problem lasted long for me, but remember it reoccurring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now