Talk

Advanced search

Another bottle feeding question

(3 Posts)
Sunflower100 Tue 09-Jun-09 14:34:42

dd2 (7 weeks) is breastfed but want her to take the ocasional bottle of expressed milk to give me some freedom. With dd1 it was a disaster until she was about 5 months. We are trying dd2 with 1-2oz of expressed milk every day for the past 2 weeks, She doesn't seem to be actively taking the milk as dd1 did (after 5 months)but does seem to get some and doesn't object. She's not 'keen' though like when bfing.
Should we just persist? Is there anything I'm missing here? Do younger babies do it differently?
Sorry Im sure all this sounds stupid I just feel as though I don't know what Im doing with this and HV won't even discuss!

Sunflower100 Tue 09-Jun-09 19:30:47

Anyone?

nannynz Tue 09-Jun-09 19:35:42

If you want her to have it then keep persisting.

Some things that may help:
- offer EBM after a BF
- make sure the EBM is quite warm
- offer it to her while she's sleeping
- make sure she is not too hungry
- don't hold her in the traditional bottle holding position, have her propped on pillow on lap or in bouncy chair.

For the Mums I've worked with that wanted the option of bottle feeding later we've started offering EBM after one of the evening feeds at two weeks. One baby took a good three months of trying everything for him to take it. Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now