Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oh balls I had a Lemsip Max earlier and just realised it's not suitable for bf.....how bad is this?

(16 Posts)
WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 08-Jun-09 21:40:05

Anyone know? I just fed DS2 about an hour after taking it.

sad

oregonianabroad Mon 08-Jun-09 21:41:23

I did that a few times. Mine survived, no harm done. If you're really worried call NHS helpline, but I reckon it'll be OK (But I am not an expert).

PacificDogwood Mon 08-Jun-09 21:43:43

It'll be fine <<soothing>>.

A one off will not do any harm. Revert to plain old boring Paracetamol henceforth smile

vonsudenfed Mon 08-Jun-09 21:44:07

From what I remember - which goes back a couple of years - the problem is not so much it going through, more that the decongestants can dry up your milk.

Have a look at the Breast Feeding Network (just google BFN Drugline) as they have brilliant tables of what is/is not allowed and why. They're probably more use than NHS Direct.

pinkspottywellies Mon 08-Jun-09 21:45:38

Just googled and found this on Net Doctor

Although paracetamol is considered safe for use during breastfeeding, it is not known if phenylephrine passes into breast milk, or its effect on a nursing infant. As a result, this medicine should not be used by breastfeeding mothers, unless your doctor considers the expected benefit is greater than any possible risk to the nursing baby. Seek medical advice from your doctor before taking this medicine if you are breastfeeding.

phenylephrine is the other active ingredient which causes the blood vessels in the nose to contract.

So not helpful really but just that the effects are not known. I don't suppose it's that strong though being over-the-counter.

smallchange Mon 08-Jun-09 21:46:04

This is a really useful leaflet from the Breastfeeding Network.

I think the issue is the decongestant as some kinds can possibly affect milk supply. Iirc, Lemsip contains phenylephrine [sp] which is ok.

WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 08-Jun-09 21:49:19

hmmmmm - this is about phenylephrine, which is what's in Lemsip:

"may make the baby agitated and wakeful" - would that be why DP is currently walking up and down with a wailing DS2 sad

WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 08-Jun-09 22:04:46

do you think I need to pump the milk now, or will I be ok to bf once the drug has passed through my system?

WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 08-Jun-09 22:11:24

anyone know?

WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 08-Jun-09 22:11:48

thank you for soothing words, by the way! smile

smallchange Mon 08-Jun-09 22:14:30

I had the odd Lemsip when bf and didn't see any effect on ds - mind you he was probably sleeping through the night by then so wouldn't have been bf that often.

I don't think pumping will make any difference. It will clear out of your system in due course.

Hope you feel better soon!

WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 08-Jun-09 22:15:20

thanks smallchange! think the Lemsip basic is fine, it's the Max one that's a problem, apparently.

BCLass Mon 08-Jun-09 22:15:39

As I understand (and this comes from knowing about alcohol) there is no need to pump & dump, because as it passes out of your system it passes out of your milk - it's not stored in milk.

Imoverhere Mon 08-Jun-09 22:15:43

I did this and dd was fine. SHe was wakeful and agitated most of the time anyway so I didn't notice any difference (and at least I didn't have a blocked up nose to deal with at the same time). I phoned NHS direct and they said a one off was no problem, but that was 3 yrs ago and ingredients change. I'd give them a ring just to make yourself feel better.

Don't worry, you and baby will be fine, I'm sure. smile

WhatFreshHellIsThis Mon 08-Jun-09 22:21:09

lol Imoverhere, DS2 is agitated most evenings as well so it probably isn't the Lemsip!

thanks BClass, I hope it's the same as alcohol in that respect, I hate pumping....

WhatFreshHellIsThis Tue 09-Jun-09 12:48:47

Well we're both still alive and well this morning, so it seems I haven't damaged my child. Or at least not in any obvious way - he'll probably turn out to be a psychopath now, all down to that one Lemsip Max....wink

Thanks for soothing messages, everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now