Talk

Advanced search

10 month old 'shouldn't need' milk at night - giving water instead?

(12 Posts)
BlackberryFool Mon 08-Jun-09 14:43:16

Message withdrawn

Seona1973 Mon 08-Jun-09 17:15:33

with ds I started offering progressively less milk in the night from 6 months (he was bottle fed). I offered an ounce less every week or so and by the time we got to 8 months he gave up the night feed. The alternative is to water down the night feeds so that they make up the lost calories during the day.

chandellina Mon 08-Jun-09 17:31:06

I didn't try water but i think the key thing is to break the pattern of them waking up and being instantly soothed back with milk. (of course, if you feel your baby really needs that feed, go for it.)

My DS was a very frequent night feeder but we finally cut it out around 8.5 months. Basically I just didn't immediately respond to his cry, and he fell back asleep within a few minutes.

Sounds too easy to be true, and there were a few nights with longer spells of crying, but it did work and now he very rarely wakes in the night (10.5 months).

rubyslippers Mon 08-Jun-09 17:33:58

lots of babies wake past 6 months - loads of them

lots have feeds in the night way past this age

TBH if your DS is having full feeds then he needs it

you can reduce them gently (reducing the amount of milk graduallY) and upping the milk intake in the day

i don't like the giving water thing personally

reikizen Mon 08-Jun-09 17:39:19

No, I'm with Ruby, I could never do the giving water thing either. They just seem so small still at that age. Anyway, don't let anyone else tell you that your lo should or shouldn't be doing things, you know best. My two were very different as dd2 ate really well during the day and dropped the night feed quicker than dd1 who eats like a sparrow and I felt like I was starving her if I didn't give her milk at night. However, neither could be fobbed off with water and there was much unpleasantness if we tried!

BlackberryFool Mon 08-Jun-09 17:54:41

Message withdrawn

burningupinspeed Mon 08-Jun-09 17:56:05

My DS needed feeding at night until 18 months old. Then he stopped of his own accord (thank god). They all get there in the end

mawbroon Mon 08-Jun-09 19:56:40

I only stopped giving my ds milk in the night a couple of months ago, and he's 3.7yo.

This is the first time that it has actually worked without major upset which makes me think that only now is he ready to go all night without it.

There's more to breatsfeeding than just nutrition!

TheProvincialLady Mon 08-Jun-09 20:05:46

My ds1 needed milk at night until 15 months (was worried about his teeth). At that point I switched to water but as you say, it was just as much effort. What did make a difference was making sure he didn't go to sleep with the bottle in his mouth. It took ages but eventually he stopped waking for a bottle.

wonderingwondering Mon 08-Jun-09 20:06:43

My first child dropped night feeds at 10 weeks.

My second still had them at 13 months and occasionally still cries for milk in the night if she has a growth spurt or is off her food (she's generally a very good eater) - she's now 2 and a half. I tried, at various points, weaning her off night feeds: offering water to break the habit, watering the milk down, and nothing worked. So I just gave her a bottle before I went to bed, which she'd take without waking up, so at least we all got a good night's sleep.

At about 13 months she starting not eating her breakfast, so we took that as our cue to cut down the night-time milk. But as I've said, that was a bit hit-and-miss, but generally from about 13-14 months she'd go through.

All my friends who were agog at my first baby sleeping through without a feed from 10 weeks old felt much better when my daughter arrived and was completely different!!

CMOTdibbler Mon 08-Jun-09 20:10:00

DS really needed a night feed until 18 months - he was having a full feed, and water was thrown across the room. At 18 months, he stopped having a night feed of his own accord and never woke up (except for fireworks and vomiting) during the night again

pigletmania Mon 08-Jun-09 21:57:07

I have just tried the water thing my daughter is 2.3 years and did not sleep the night at all, apart from the odd fluke night lol. Since stopping milk at night she sleeping much better though not all the way through. I do think that 10 months is still a little too young, mabey past one then fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now