Talk

Advanced search

Is breast milk enough?

(5 Posts)
cravingchocolate Mon 08-Jun-09 10:07:57

I am breastfeeding my 6 month old dd (much to the horror of most of my family, who keep telling me that she should have had enough of 'that' by now) and have just started her on some purees - should I be offering her some water in a beaker or will she be getting enough fluid from bm?

Notquitegrownup Mon 08-Jun-09 10:15:07

Mine were exclusively bf until 10 months. I occasionally offered food, baby rice, purees or whatever, to see if they were interested, but their calories and liquid intake came all from bfing. It was only as they got to 10 months that they started eating any solids and didn't have much to speak of until 12 months.

My family were just the same as yours - and I hadn't found MN to reassure me. You are doing brilliantly bfing for 6 months. Go with your instinct and watch your dd - she will let you know when she is interested in food.

(I kept feeding my dss until 3.5 yrs, but you will need lots of MN reassurance and some good quips to help to persuade your family to at least let you get on with it, if not actively to support you.)

cravingchocolate Mon 08-Jun-09 11:52:54

Thank you - She is number 3, but I did not manage to feed the other two for anywhere near as long so I am feeling pretty pleased for still feeding her myself! smile

She is growing, happy and alert and is sleeping brilliantly (she does 12 hours every night!) so I think that my milk is obviously doing OK - just have to ignore anyone who tells me otherwise!

pinkspottywellies Mon 08-Jun-09 13:57:06

Congratulations! You're doing a fantastic job feeding her this long. Do your own thing and ignore them and stick around here for reassurance!

Seona1973 Mon 08-Jun-09 14:07:34

I would maybe offer an ounce or 2 of water in a cup along with meals but more for getting used to the cup than for the water itself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now