Talk

Advanced search

avent breast pump not working- or is it me?

(14 Posts)
booyhoo Mon 08-Jun-09 00:00:00

it worked the first two times then tried yesterday, thought i just didnt have enough milk for it to work so put it away, have just tried again, with full breasts and its still not working. i thought they were pretty foolproof. what am i doing wrong?

mears Mon 08-Jun-09 00:03:11

Make sure you have put the valve in the right way round. Really easy to put it in the wrong way.

booyhoo Mon 08-Jun-09 00:11:44

does it go in with the raised bits down or up, ive tried both ways but neither seems to work.

mawbroon Mon 08-Jun-09 07:52:03

IIRC, it goes with the flat bit on the bottom and the raised bits up the way.

smallchange Mon 08-Jun-09 07:58:30

Are you using the silicone cushion insert? I found it way easier to get a seal without it.

CMOTdibbler Mon 08-Jun-09 11:01:30

I couldn't get the Avent pump to work for me at all. And I pumped at lot with a Lactaline with no problems at all.

Have you tried hand expressing ? If you don't need to express a lot it is ideal

mears Mon 08-Jun-09 11:04:27

I agree about hand expressing. I found it much faster than using a pump.

booyhoo Mon 08-Jun-09 11:51:35

yep i tried hand expressing last night but dont think i have the technique right, plus i was pissed off that the pump wouldnt work so i gave up in bad temper. i dont need to express its just handy if i need to leave ds2 with mum for a few hours.

smallchange, the only silicone-ish thing is the bit that the pump handle clicks on to.

HensMum Mon 08-Jun-09 11:57:52

I couldn't get on with this one at all - it never seemed that sucky. Many tears of frustration! I found the Tommee Tippee manual one to be better but still never got that much out.

mistlethrush Mon 08-Jun-09 12:06:04

I had this, and to start with I found it quite difficult to get it to work reliably - I thought I'd got it wrong somehow as I didn't seem to get a seal properly. However, later on I found that this usually sorted itslef out with lots of little pumps rather than trying too large a pump to start with. I hope this made sense - some time ago, and difficult to describe anyway!

booyhoo Mon 08-Jun-09 17:25:26

thanks mistlethrush, i'll keep trying it then and hopefully it'll fix itself.

mistlethrush Tue 09-Jun-09 09:17:11

Oh - and the other thing - if you start thinking 'Arrggghhh ITS NOT WORKING IT MUST BE WRONG I REALLY NEED TO EXPRESS SOME MILK I MUST BE DOING IT WRONG' etc etc, its almost guaranteed to not work! Don't worry whether it works this time or not, take the pressure of yourself, and hopefully it will improve grin

Dawnybabe Sun 14-Jun-09 08:22:24

Chuck your Avent pump away and get a Medela Harmony. I couldn't get anything out of mine and then a breastfeeding counciller told me as I had big boobs the nozzle was just squeezing my nipple together and preventing the milk from coming out. She gave me a Medela and the milk just flowed out. Avent pumps don't fit everybody!

SpookyMadMummy Sun 14-Jun-09 09:19:17

I found with the Avent pump, leaning forwards and dangling your boob into the pump helps to get a good seal. Leaning forward to express helps too and use the opposite arm to pump than the boob you are expressing from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now