Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to do?

(14 Posts)
Gem1355 Mon 09-May-05 19:51:55

My DD is 6 weeks old and is drinking 8oz per bottle and has 4 bottles a day but still seems to wake up in the nite i try feeding her but she buttons her lips but her stomach really growls She is on SMA Gold at the mo, just want to know if a good idea to put her on SMA White for hungrier babies so it fills her up that little bit more and she'll sleep easier at nite?

kid Mon 09-May-05 19:53:40

isn't 8oz alot for a 6 week old baby?
My nephews were all switched to SMA white and it seemed to help them.

Gem1355 Mon 09-May-05 21:01:22

Well shes drinks 4 bottles in the day to stock up for overnite but she still seems hungry! she usually has her last bottle inbetween 9 & 10pm and sleeps till about 7am but stirs int he nite between 3 & 4am. soon as she comes to me goes back 2 sleep!

kid Mon 09-May-05 21:04:08

sounds like she is doing great sleeping for that long during the night, it took my DS about 13 months to sleep that well. DD took a bit longer at 2.5 years!
I think if you spoke to your HV, they wouldn't be concerned about her waking in the night and probably wouldn't want you to switch to SMA white. I thought babies needed the night feed until about 6 months old when they were on solids? Then again, guidelines change all the time so its hard to keep up with the latest advice!

Gem1355 Mon 09-May-05 21:07:19

I see my HV on wednesday so i'll ask her then,

hotmama Mon 09-May-05 21:19:51

I think babies go through a growth spurt at 6 weeks - so this could be a reason for seeming hungrier than usual - or has it always been like this?

My dd slept through from a month old but did used to stir at about 4ish - she was moved into her own room from 14 weeks and this seemed to sort her out and she slept through - she never needed a night feed (yippee). It could have been that our stirring was waking her at 4 a.m. - her stirring woke me.

The guidelines re amounts of formula are just that so don't be overworried if it seems you are giving too much - if the baby is overfed it will just come back up anyway.

When it seemed that my dd was going through a hungry spurt, I did swap to the hungry type but I switched back again as when she wasn't going through a hungry phase as she started to take less.

I don't think there is anything wrong with swapping between the types but I think the recommendation is to stay with the brand you usually use.

I have just looked at the formula I use (Aptimil) and the recommendation at 4-8 weeks is 5 feeds of 5ozs - so perhaps try giving smaller feeds but slot in a 5th feed - you'll know if this will work for you?

If you are concerned I would recommend a word with your hv - but sounds like a growth spurt to me - and the sleeping is fine with only one wake-up call - many mumsnetters would love only one. HTH

ambrosia Mon 09-May-05 21:21:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gem1355 Mon 09-May-05 21:29:06

I can't give her more bottles in the day coz she will just bring it back up, as she has been having weight problems with keeping milk down!

ambrosia Mon 09-May-05 21:30:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

starlover Mon 09-May-05 21:30:52

gem, what hotmama and ambrosia are saying is reduce the amount in each feed, but add an extra one in...

she shouldn't bring any up unless she has too much in one go iyswim...

hotmama Mon 09-May-05 21:37:19

I'm not one for scheduling as such but dd fell naturally into the same pattern as Ambrosia.

Don't worry about the weight thing - my dd wasn't back up to her birthweight at 6 weeks - and I was getting hyper.

If your babe is sleeping well and seems happy but the weight is slow coming on don't worry. My dd's birthweight was at the 91st centile and then she slipped to nearly the 9th and then started putting on about 10ozs a week and she has been on the 91st line for months - but don't get hung up with following the lines - all I'm trying to show is that weight can dramatically fall and then rights itself. HTH

Merlin Mon 09-May-05 21:59:59

Hi Gem - I'm having a problem too at mo. DS is 4 weeks and is having a bit of a feeding frenzy in the evenings usually from about 7/8pm until 9/10pm, getting through around 7-9oz in that period. He then has a feed about 11.30pm and will go until 2.30/3am, and then until 7ish. HV has advised replacing his early eve feed (8pmish) with the SMA White. Did this tonight for the first time - he finished off 5oz of that and then had another 1oz of SMA Gold. Seeing HV on Wed so will discuss a further plan of action! Last night he had us up from about 2am til 5am just feeding, sort of settling then waking wanting a bit more! Oh well, it wont last forever - jealous of you Gem with your little one sleeping through!

Gem1355 Tue 10-May-05 15:57:26

i can't reduce the amount of oz in her bottle coz she is always hungry otherwise! she had about 26-28 oz yesterday and still stirred in the middle of the nite!

starlover Tue 10-May-05 15:58:08

well then I would suggest talking to your health visitor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now