Talk

Advanced search

so if I have thrush is it in my milk?

(7 Posts)
SalBySea Fri 05-Jun-09 00:02:31

looks like DS has thrush in his mouth. If we both get treated should I chuck all expressed milk from before the treatment to prevent re-infection?

kitkatqueen Fri 05-Jun-09 00:05:47

Yes Deffo, Have you seen the bfn leaflet on thrush to make sure you are treated correctly???

kitkatqueen Fri 05-Jun-09 00:17:20

Hiya, this is the info you will need to get the correct treatment for Thrush whilst b/feeding. I highly reccomend that you print it, read it and wave it at your gp complete with a stamping foot if they argue. Don't forget you can take paracetamol. Hope you caught it early.

BFN Leaflets main page

SalBySea Fri 05-Jun-09 20:44:48

thanks, wish I had a printer and had brought it, my gp hasnt got a clue !

kitkatqueen Sun 07-Jun-09 10:12:52

sal, write out the web address and ask them to check, every gp's surgery has an online connection, or go to local library and print it off from there. Hope you get the treatment you need, its just not something most gps know much about in my experience.

lilymolly Sun 07-Jun-09 10:17:15

word of warning....

my gps practice refused to prescribe the fluconazole.

I kicked up a fuss and the consultant obs/gyne rx it for me.

Good luck x

Grendle Sun 07-Jun-09 13:35:19

If the thrush is just in the baby's mouth then fluconazole may well not be needed. Fluconazole is used where there is evidence of thrush inside the breast (i.e. deep breast pain, usually in both breasts after feeds). It is important that an expert assessment of breastfeeding, including someone actually observing a feed, is made before diagnosing breast thrush. For thrush on the surface of the nipple and/or in the baby's mouth then treatment of both with cream (for mum) and gel (for baby) is all that's needed. It's worth checking baby's bottom too, as often if baby has oral thrush then they may have v bad nappy rash that can be thrush-related and might need thrush cream too.

Discarding potentially exposed expressed milk to avoid re-infection is a good idea. Washing towels, bras, breastpads etc in a hot wash is also sometimes helpful, or where possible tumble-drying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now