Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about front teeth and breastfeeding -ow, ow, ow!

(8 Posts)
artifarti Thu 04-Jun-09 06:44:11

After months of dribbling, biting and whinging, one of DS's front teeth has finally broken through this morning. I've noticed that over the last week or so, BFing has been a little bit sore - not terrible but a bit ouch.

He is nine months. I didn't plan to feed him until he was a year old but seeing as all attempts at introducing formula have resulted in him throwing his cup on the floor in a strop, I am carrying on. But I am now a bit worried! I am presuming it will get better, not worse, or else there wouldn't be such a huge extended BFeeders thread! Reassure me, please...

artifarti Thu 04-Jun-09 07:12:38

Oh - to be clear, I'm talking top front teeth. He already has two bottom, which have been fine.

wastingmyeducation Thu 04-Jun-09 08:20:04

I've found that each new lot of teeth means that DS has to relearn his latch, and that after a short while it stops hurting again.

Sassyfrassy Thu 04-Jun-09 08:37:52

I thought it was worst when the tooth was just peeking out, once fully through it was all good again.

alittlebitshy Thu 04-Jun-09 14:21:54

I'm finding that it temporarily gets worse then goes back to normal again. At the moment we're in an ow ow ow stage - to the extent where i had blood dripping down from the little gash in my areola the other night. Ow. I've started trying to make sure he is higher up (extra cushion) when feeding on that side. Oddly enough I only get probs on one side hmm.

artifarti Thu 04-Jun-09 14:36:59

Thanks everyone, except alittlebitshy who mentioned blood shockwink

[Arti unclips bra with shaking fingers...]

alittlebitshy Thu 04-Jun-09 18:23:01

oops sort artifarti....

Jennylee Thu 04-Jun-09 22:05:10

mine were very hurty my 10 month old has 4 top teeth and and 3 bottom ones, and it can really really hurt when they first coming through but it has got bettter now they are through properly, I get the odd bite but not to draw blood, and teeth indentations but not all the time. So I think it gets better once they are through. Although with my first baby it got worse and I stopped bf as got bitten all the time at every feed. Am hoping it stays pain free, can't stop anyway as dd will never drink more than an ounce of formula, even on the hurty days so have stopped bothering trying to let her have any formula, but she will drink some water from a bottle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now