Talk

Advanced search

7 month old has dropped feeds rather than have formula (previously bf) any advice?

(3 Posts)
Sprogstersmum Wed 03-Jun-09 11:58:00

I've been trying to wean dd2, 7 months, off bf for a couple of months now - have replaced daytime bf with formula but she has just dropped the feeds - has bf at 8pm and then has 1 or 2 bfs during the night but absolutely refuses formula (or expressed bm) and so goes all day with no milk, she has three meals a day and drinks a little water but not much. How much does this really matter and if I stop bf will she just drop milk altogether and is is v important (I know it's not ideal). She has milk in her meals, yogurts, cheese etc.

scarletlilybug Wed 03-Jun-09 12:42:36

Why do you need to stop bf completely? Couldn't you just carry on until she is one? Seems to me you have got past the big time-consuming, constantly-on-call phase of bf, and I'm sure you know about WHO advice.

If you really don't feel able to continue, maybe try a sippy cup? Or a different teat?

I think milk is still very important for a baby at this young age, but I'm sure some expert will come along soon to give more specific advice.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 03-Jun-09 15:27:51

I would just carry on with the BF. As scarlet says once you are just BFing in the evening and night then you have much more freedom.
She does need either BM or formula until she's one, preferably BM as per the WHO guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now