Talk

Advanced search

What is the earliest you have given cows milk to drink?

(14 Posts)
mmmmchocolate Sun 08-May-05 21:04:00

DD was breastfed for 2 months, then formula fed. She is 8 months old and hates formula milk have tried differnt bottles, nearly every type milk. Was wondering if anyone has used cows milk??

lilsmum Sun 08-May-05 21:05:25

no the recommended age is 12 mths for cows milk as a drink, only thing i could suggest is try a different formula...not sure if this is right though

swiperfox Sun 08-May-05 21:07:23

I gave ds cows milk when he was 9/10 months. The recommended age is 12 months but he was absolutely fine with it and don't think he even noticed it had changed!!

I started a thread about it too and there were some mums who had given it much earlier for one reason or another

mmmmchocolate Sun 08-May-05 21:07:43

tried nearly all of them, makes no difference. She is a little madam.

jessicasmummy Sun 08-May-05 21:08:22

my mate gave her ds cows milk from 9 months - he's fine and still has a bottle of it before bed now and he's 2.9years!

mmmmchocolate Sun 08-May-05 21:09:19

swiperfox - can i ask why you went on to cows milk??? and was it full fat or other? thanks x

Bozza Sun 08-May-05 21:12:34

With both mine I gradually swapped over from about 10 months so that they were fully on cow's milk by 12 months. Would certainly NOT recommend giving anything other than full fat though. Also, how do you know that she will drink cow's milk?

tiffini Sun 08-May-05 21:32:24

my twins are 17months, and i am still trying to get the little tikes onto cows milk, they are not very impressed with it at all.

mmmmchocolate Sun 08-May-05 21:41:06

i don't know she will, just another option for me to try but wasn't sure when too.

tiffini Sun 08-May-05 21:45:27

personaly, i di not start trying until they were 10 months.
A reply to your question to swiperfox, it is recommended children drink full fat milk.

dinny Sun 08-May-05 21:49:57

I sometimes give ds (8 months) cow's milk. He's breastfed but is often too disracted in the day to feed much so I sometimes give him a beaker of cow's milk and some fruit/rice cake etc as a snack. Think you aren't supposed to use it as main milk though - too low in iron.

KristinaM Sun 08-May-05 22:03:29

Have you tried it ice cold in a beaker with ice cubes? Some babies can be fooled into thinking this is a whole new drink in a different container at a different temperature and not in any way related to that warm formula in bottles [ grin]. Also the ice cubes make a nice noise when you shake the cup

i think the reason that cows milk is not recommended before a year is that it doens't have enough nutrients. it wont do any harm for them to have a little eg in rice pudding or youghurt. But not as a main drink

swiperfox Fri 03-Jun-05 12:25:25

How's it going Mmm? I missed your question - sorry I changed over because we were going through a very skint stage and didn't have any formula so I thought it would hurt to give it having read up on some other threads.

Did you try it in the end? I gave full fat normal cows milk. You aren't meant to give semi/skimmed milk because babies need the fats.

Hope its going well

PiccadillyCircus Fri 03-Jun-05 12:26:39

DS had cow's milk with cereal from 6 months. And then as a main drink from a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now