Talk

Advanced search

10 week old BFing every 1.5 - 2 hours in the day, is this normal?

(7 Posts)
leen65 Tue 02-Jun-09 13:32:13

My 10 week old baby girl has been breastfed through nipple shields since 4 days old (trouble with flat nipples without) she has very good weight gain, but am trying to get her to feed at longer intervals and it's proving impossible. Is this normal for a BF baby at this age? I'd love to even get her to 3 hourly feeds. At night she's pretty good and will sleep through with only 2 feeds from 8 till 6/7. Help would love to be able to plan to go out for more than two hours with her without feeding!

wrinklytum Tue 02-Jun-09 13:36:52

Yes Mine fed 2 hrly at this stage.

Re going out and about

You could try a wrap sling,many have a swathe of material at the end so you can put it over your shoulder and cover up when feeding if you are self concious aboout bf in public

leen65 Tue 02-Jun-09 13:46:00

great, thanks good to know, thought she might be turning into a giant baby! wink The BF in public is fine, it's just more of a pfaff with the nipple shields and her screaming her head off by the time I can get her on.

iwantitnow Tue 02-Jun-09 14:45:56

my 11 week DS does the same - go out when she does a long nap is my advice. DD never did 4 hour feeds even at 18 months when I did cut feeds. In this hot weather milk is a drink as well as food.

leen65 Tue 02-Jun-09 15:11:31

thanks again, yes I've tried to go out when she is napping, but they never last long in the day. I should contribute to LOL breastfeeding moments, with having to resort to feeding her on someone's front wall in a back street of hampstead when she wouldn't wait the 10 minute walk to the car! but it's good to know that other babies do it too! my partner makes jokes (not that funny!) that we've fed her too much from the start, no matter how mucn I say that you can't over feed a BF baby!

CatIsSleepy Tue 02-Jun-09 17:57:47

my 11 week old dd2 is also feeding around 2 hourly or so too... sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. also gets hideously grumpy if she's awake more than 1.5 hours and doesn't nap well unless in her bed. am finding it a bit of a bind so I sympathise!

dinkystinky Tue 02-Jun-09 18:06:05

Leen - my DS2 is the same, lots of feeds during the day but goes much longer at night. I look on the bright side - he's taking his milk quotient during the day so we go for 8 hours at night between feeds. She will stretch out (DS2 is now 16 weeks and is happy to go 2.5 to 3 hours between feeds when its not really hot - on really hot days he needs a little thirst quencher fairly before and after naps too) so just go with the flow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now