Talk

Advanced search

expressing people - quick reminder about defrosting breast milk needed cant fibd specific answer on kellymom

(6 Posts)
popsycal Tue 02-Jun-09 10:06:27

you would think i would remember having expressed for 18 moonths for ds2

i have frozen milk in freezer which i need to use on thursday for ds3
if i get it out on wed evening, i defrost it in the fridge overnight dont i?

blush

HaventSleptForAYear Tue 02-Jun-09 10:15:20

yes, it will keep for 24hrs after defrosting.

Don' think you ness. need to defrost in the fridge although in this weather it would be better.

popsycal Tue 02-Jun-09 10:21:20

sand if bits are still frozen in the morning, you stand the milk in cold water to finis hdefrosting dont you?
sorry been awake since 3:30 shock

HaventSleptForAYear Tue 02-Jun-09 10:42:05

I think you can even stand it in hot water just before use?

Microwaving is not recommended because it kills some of the active ingredients (or sommat?) but not the end of the world either.

Seona1973 Tue 02-Jun-09 12:20:19

from kellymom:

To thaw milk*

Thaw slowly in the refrigerator (this takes about 12 hours – try putting it in the fridge the night before you need it). Avoid letting milk sit out at room temperature to thaw.

* For quicker thawing, hold container under running water - start cool and gradually increase temperature.

Previously frozen milk may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after it has finished thawing. Do not refreeze.

To warm milk

Heat water in a cup or other small container, then place frozen milk in the water to warm; or

Use a bottle warmer.

NEVER microwave human milk or heat it directly on the stove.

The cream will rise to the top of the milk during storage. Gently swirl milk (do not shake) to mix before checking temperature and offering to baby.

If baby does not finish milk at one feeding, it may be refrigerated and offered at the next feeding before it is discarded.

popsycal Tue 02-Jun-09 12:37:54

thnk you thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now