Talk

Advanced search

How often can I re-use the same bottle of breast milk?

(9 Posts)
addictedtodollymixtures Mon 01-Jun-09 16:59:08

I'm about to try expressing milk and have heard different views on how often you can reuse the same bottle. I know breastmilk will keep for several days in the fridge, and that it should be warmed to body temp, but how often can I use the same bottle?

littlelamb Mon 01-Jun-09 17:01:31

Do you mean the same milk? I'd only reheat it once then throw it away

CandleQueen Mon 01-Jun-09 17:02:02

I think once it's warmed it should be used straight away. If it's not used then it should be discarded.

LIZS Mon 01-Jun-09 17:02:41

Once - bacteria will multiply once warmed. Best to decant it into smaller amount to minimise wastage.

Tambajam Mon 01-Jun-09 17:11:58

Once it's out of the fridge and has been warmed it should be used within the hour.

I would store in smaller quantities if you are regularly not getting one bottle finished.

HeadFairy Mon 01-Jun-09 17:14:17

I hate to disagree with the others but I used to warm fridge cold bm for ds to have in a bottle and if he didn't finish it I'd put it back in the fridge and reuse later (but only rewarm it one more time). DS has never had any problems with that. I was always told that bm has antibacterial properties that slow down the bacteria growth unlike formula which isn't sterile from the start.

mummalish Mon 01-Jun-09 18:06:06

HeadFairy I do exactly the same thing with my ebm, and have done for quite some time. I call it "recycling" my milk, cant bear to waste a drop. The "recycled" milk I only reheat once more, and we have never had a problem.

LovelyTinOfSpam Mon 01-Jun-09 18:14:17

I bought some milk bag things from boots and froze the milk in smaller batches just in case.

Personally I would probably have done what HF and mummalish did as well, if me and DD had got the hang of bottles smile

MrsHD Mon 01-Jun-09 21:01:30

Last night DS zonked on the boob after only 1.5 of the seven lovely ounces I'd expressed for him, so I bunged it back in the fridge and he polished it off when he woke up at 10pm wondering what had happened to supper!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now