Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know about newborn poo ?

(13 Posts)
Comewhinewithme Mon 01-Jun-09 11:11:30

DD is 3 days old today . She is bf and has been doing really well lots of wet and dirty nappies .
Today her poo has changed she did a grainy loose brown poo first thing and has now done a very explosive poo but it was not solid at all just liquid.
Don't know if this is due to BF as it is the first time I have properly bf one of my babies .
She is fine alert and demand feeding just want to reasure myself TBH .

TIA.

Comewhinewithme Mon 01-Jun-09 11:12:01

Sorry for typos half asleep .

NotQuiteCockney Mon 01-Jun-09 11:12:35

Sounds pretty normal to me. Breastfed babies' poo is often really really runny.

Comewhinewithme Mon 01-Jun-09 11:19:01

Thankyou .

PortAndLemon Mon 01-Jun-09 11:38:00

Yes, sounds perfectly normal. It should turn a sort of bright mustardly yellow and may sometimes be runny with little curds in it (a bit like cottage cheese), but runny without curds is fine too.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 01-Jun-09 11:49:13

Oh, and congratulations on your new baby, and well done on giving bf a good go!

tiktok Mon 01-Jun-09 12:02:20

Ask the midwife about this, I think. At 3 days, very liquid poo is unusual - the sometimes liquid, soft, stuff (usually yellow) is usual with a baby a little older.

Typical 3 day old baby poo is brownish-green, and soft and spreadable , not actually liquid.

Has she had anything but breastmilk so far?

I am not saying there is anything wrong - just that it's different enough to get a midwifery opinion about.

Comewhinewithme Mon 01-Jun-09 12:57:50

Thankyou NQC .

Tiktok all she has had is BM since she was born I will mention it to MW but she has just done another and it was orange and solid<ish> . She was a bit grumpy and windy first thing so maybe that had something to do with it ?
SHe has just had another lovely feed anyway and seems really settled.
Thanks for all answers .

tiktok Mon 01-Jun-09 13:35:12

All that is good news, and it's likely the midwife will be able to reassure you

NotQuiteCockney Mon 01-Jun-09 20:08:08

If tiktok says you should go see a midwife, I would go see a midwife.

CatIsSleepy Mon 01-Jun-09 20:11:09

dd2's first proper poo after my milk came in was very runny and very explosive... she did 3 in quick succession and ended up covered in poo up to her armpits grin

tiktok Mon 01-Jun-09 20:20:00

Not an expert in poo, by any means, NQC Though thanks for your faith.

I just think that if a baby of 3 days old is doing something a bit unusual, something that worries her mum enough for her to post to a talkboard about, then it is something a midwife should know about....and given it is easy to see a midwife in the early days (or should be) it's good for her to look at the baby as well as getting views from posters.

I don't want to scare anyone - I honestly have no idea what liquid grainy brown poo could mean!

Comewhinewithme Tue 02-Jun-09 08:30:42

Spoke to MW yesterday and as it was just one runny poo she is not concerned .
Think it was probably due to my milk coming in and it has really come in grin.
She fed a lot throughout the day yesterday for short bursts each time but then settled after a long feed at midnight she then woke at 3.20am and again at 6am .
Thankyou again would have probably got into a tizz without mumsnet keeping me informed .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now