Talk

Advanced search

Soured EBM???

(5 Posts)
1yummymummy Sun 08-May-05 10:30:18

Can anyone help? I have been trying for ages to get my dd2 to take ebm from a bottle but shes having none of it yesterday I tried the breastmilk and it tasted like "gone off" milk it was disgusting - no wonder shes not drinking from a bottlebut why is my ebm like this? dd2 had milk that was expressed about 12 hours earlier and kept in fridge and some that had been frozen,thawed and heated and both lots tasted like this does anyone have any idea why? My other two took ebm from a bottle from dh with no problems.

Seona1973 Sun 08-May-05 19:12:57

there is lots of info about breastfeeding, handling and storage of bm here

This is what one of the links says:

Occasionally women report milk that smells "spoiled" after only a short period of storage. The cause of this is unknown (though may be related to an unusally fast break down of milk fats) when the milk is stored in recommended containers and for limited periods of time. Suggestions may include use of glass storage containers, freezing at the coldest temperature possible and keeping the milk away from odor releasing foods in the refrigerator or freezer.

lailag Sun 08-May-05 19:42:42

I had this problem which I "solved" by scolding the milk immediately after expressing and before storing it
look here

1yummymummy Sun 08-May-05 20:49:22

Thanks for that guys! Seems to me that, that is what the problem is -Am still confused as to why it is happening with my third and not the others but hey! at least im more knowledgable on "soured milk"

chipmonkey Mon 09-May-05 14:38:17

1yummymummy, I think EBM can have a funny taste anyway, even if its fine. It tastes a bit like goats milk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now