Talk

Advanced search

Anyone currently reading Politics Of Breastfeeding?

(149 Posts)
hunkermunker Sat 30-May-09 23:02:50

I'd like to talk about bits of it with people who are reading it/have read it/are interested in reading it/aren't currently interested in reading it, but will be once they've read the thread. And likely some other people too, but I haven't thought of their categories yet.

smile

AnarchyAunt Sat 30-May-09 23:05:13

Me. I am halfway though it, finally got it after being promised it for Christmas!

About to go to bed though. But I will gladly talk about it tomorrow smile

hunkermunker Sat 30-May-09 23:07:40

Fabulous! Yes, I've been waiting for mine for ages, but it's been well worth the wait - I started a thread a while ago musing about the delay and the publisher posted to say Gabrielle Palmer had wanted to include the melamine contamination in China, etc, so that's why it took longer to be published.

KashaSarrasin Sat 30-May-09 23:23:29

I'm just reading the HIV chapter now. I'd already read the earlier edition and was in two minds whether to invest in the new one or not, glad I did as there's so much new information in there.

I'm also off to bed but will mark this thread for tomorrow!

vlc Sat 30-May-09 23:56:13

I've wanted to read this for ages. Who is stocking it now? Must get a copy.

moondog Sat 30-May-09 23:57:33

Hunker, I will discuyss it until the ows come home.
Can't believe you hven't read it until now? shock
It changed my life.

hunkermunker Sat 30-May-09 23:59:21

Amazon have copies grin

hunkermunker Sun 31-May-09 00:03:28

MD, I also can't believe I haven't read it until now.

But it is very nice to see all the stuff I've been banging on about for years laid out in book form, complete with photos and references grin

The parts about population control (I had NO idea Romania banned contraception and abortion and carried out obligatory pregnancy tests, for example) I am finding fascinating, also various things about the societies we in the West scorn for being primitive.

moondog Sun 31-May-09 00:03:43

Do you know that she is speaking at ABM conference?

moondog Sun 31-May-09 00:08:26

Here

MillyR Sun 31-May-09 00:27:32

I read an earlier book on this about ten years ago and thought it was fantastic, but another good book is The Anthropology of Breastfeeding by Katherine Dettwyler. Even though it sounds academic it is easy to read and not dry. A lot of it is about industrialised society and male control of breast feeding. It also has lots of stuff on positive accounts of women in positions of seniority who have childcare in the workplace and breastfeed at work in Mali.

She has been involved in various campaigns and has acted as an expert witness in Northern America in court cases where ex husbands have tried to win sole custody on the basis that the mother breastfed a child over 1.

She has a site Katherinedettwyler.org

StealthPolarBear Sun 31-May-09 08:15:02

I've just finished reading an earlier version, can I join in?

wastingmyeducation Sun 31-May-09 08:27:57

I've just started chapter 3.
I'm so glad it's finally here, I ordered it in September.

gloomysue Sun 31-May-09 08:35:58

I have just started reading it, may take me a while but I will finish it!

Babieseverywhere Sun 31-May-09 08:41:39

I'm half way though mine

PuzzleRocks Sun 31-May-09 09:27:35

Just started it and have found myself reading most of it aloud to DH.

bubbleymummy Sun 31-May-09 10:21:24

I'm reading it too! Haven't got too far into it yet - the boys are keeping me busy.

sunfleurs Sun 31-May-09 11:09:44

Yes I have read this. Inbetween dc. It had a real impact on the decisions I made with regard to feeding dd (2nd dc). I wish greatly I had read it before ds as I think he missed out due to my lack of knowledge.

bambipie Sun 31-May-09 11:37:40

Just finished it and would love to talk about it! (DH getting quite bored of quotes now!). It was very readable and angry making. Shocking how we have been duped into thinking that our lovely milk is somehow substandard or that it is wrong to bf. I was really horrified about the handing out of free samples - especially by aid agencies.

I think I read it too fast though, I'm going to re-read specific chapters again.

CherryChoc Sun 31-May-09 11:38:44

Marking my place! I am quite far through, but have been reading sleep-deprived for much of last week so I'm not sure how much I've taken in (which is fine - it means I'll get more out of it next time I read it, on the first reading I always rush books blush)

I have just finished the chapters about the Code of marketing.

spiderlight Sun 31-May-09 15:42:26

Just ordered it!

ChairmumMiaow Sun 31-May-09 16:51:43

Me too! Have done the first couple of chapters and kept reading bits out to DH in bed. Have found it very emotive reading though, so have not been reading it lately as I've been exhausted!

Would love to discuss it though.

CharCharGabor Sun 31-May-09 18:03:39

I'm planning on reading it as soon as I get hold of a copy, been wanting to read it for a while.

hunkermunker Sun 31-May-09 18:47:52

OK, so some of the most thought-provoking stuff I've read so far has been around the use of bottles and the promotion of formula in Third World countries, where a tin of formula can cost more than is earnt in a month and that's WITHOUT the cost of the fuel to heat the water/sterilise the bottles. It's this last bit that I probably hadn't given much thought to - I knew formula was prohibitively expensive, I knew that it was often eked out to make a tub go further, I knew the instructions were often not printed in languages the people using it can read - but the mechanics of making it up as safely as possible - that hadn't figured as much in my thoughts as now.

I "knew" all this stuff already, but it's seeing it laid out, then seeing the cynical way the companies market their product - knowing babies will die because they aren't being breastfed - it beggars belief.

PuzzleRocks Sun 31-May-09 20:23:03

I have just read the part about soy based infant formula with my mouth open.
I only recently became aware of the potential hazards of phytoestrogens and it occurred to me that one of my nieces was given a particular infant formula exclusively from birth. Since she was a baby she has had hormone problems including excessive body hair, water retention, stomach cramps, mood swings, early onset of puberty inc. pubic hair and breast tissue at 7, menstruating at 9. The numerous consultants she has seen have never been able to offer a satisfactory explanation.
I assume it would be unwise to name the brand here but could anyone tell me where I can find a comprehensive ingredients list for popular formula milks. The company website doesn't provide much info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now