Talk

Advanced search

Does the average 8 month old need a night feed?

(12 Posts)
highlander Sat 07-May-05 18:44:39

I suspect DS is ready to go without booby at night. He's well established on solids 3 times/day, but with no dairy yet.

At night he'll usually take a reasonable size feed (no set time, can't predict it) but once he's done that any other wakenings can be dealt with by rocking etc etc by DH (yahoo!!!!).

Obviously I would like to encourage him to do without this feed, but I'm very unsure as to how I can be confident that he doesn't need it.

On Wed and Thurs night I didn't give him boob, and there was a bit of a battle to settle him. DH has had far more success as DS just goes bananas if I try. Last night, however he slept for 8 hours , and I fed him when he woke. He woke up again an hour later and DH settled him very, very quickly (DS apparently had a big burp).

So maybe he does need this feed?

hunkermunker Sat 07-May-05 18:55:24

Does he drink water, Highlander? He may just be thirsty. How much does he breastfeed/eat during the day?

Twiglett Sat 07-May-05 18:57:58

well if he's fully weaned he definitely doesn't 'need' it as such

but tbh it didn't bother me that much when DD was waking up for a feed, because she woke at 3am religiously, fed for 5 mins and went straight back to sleep

I did worry that it was time she slept through, because DS had been sleeping through since 5 months old but was convinced that it wasn't a problem still feeding her because it wasn't bothering me

she slept through from just under 10 months old naturally so I never had to go through sleep training with her

is there a reason you haven't introduced dairy btw?

zebraX Sat 07-May-05 19:01:54

My feeling is that if the baby is impossible to settle that's because they really do "need" the night feed, they really are that hungry/thirsty, they haven't read the baby books saying they "aren't supposed" to eat or drink at night. I mean, you go 11-12 hours without a drink or bite to eat at night, don't you?

highlander Sat 07-May-05 19:26:12

HM - yes, he taked water from a sippy cup at mealtimes. Reluctant to try this at night as the sippy doesn't have a valve and it can be a bit messy!

In Canada, we're told not to introduce dairy until 9 months, once the concept of solids is established and any constipation issues are dealt with. Seems sensible!

Zebra - funny, that was my thinking. I drink at least a big glass of water during the night.

mears Sat 07-May-05 20:00:18

highlander - my ds3 did not give up night feed until 8 months. One night he didn't wake for it and that was that. I personally would't give water in place of a breastfeed during the night because that replaces one habit with another.

If he gets up, feeds and goes back down I would just continue doing that for a while longer. Perhaps at least until he is established on dairy foos.

I am amazed at you missus - remember those early posts before you had him?

highlander Sat 07-May-05 20:51:36

ah yes, the 'I don't want a baby' days, soon followed by the 'I'm not BF and I'll get him in nursery at 3 months' days

he does love his booby scoff!

The night feed continues then!

dinny Sat 07-May-05 20:57:25

Highlander, will be thinking of you when up feeding my ds! (though time difference will make that problematic!) Those boys, hey? [smile}

highlander Sat 07-May-05 21:03:05

dinny, the time difference was fantastic for watching the election results on TV!

dinny Sat 07-May-05 21:05:00

v handy are you back at work yet Highlander? seeing the due Sept 2005 thread makes me feel sooooo nostalgic. worried am getting broody again!

highlander Sat 07-May-05 21:31:48

we're returning to the UK (hopefully) in mid-June. I've a place at medical school starting at the end of Sept, but I'm really, really reluctant to leave DS for any length of time . BUT I need to get out and do something! The other alternative is leave it until DS is 18 months and try returning to science then. I don't don't know any p-t scientists though. One of the other MNs is a doctor and she says once I'm through med school it will be pretty easy to go p-t, which is unheard of in research science!

what to do, what to do........

I read somewhere else you're back soon dinny?

I am so not broody - I keep getting awful flashbacks to when DS was a tiny, bawling baby - never again!! Should we expect 3 int he Dinny family then?

dinny Sun 08-May-05 10:21:31

oh, exciting. where are you going to med school? are you looking forward to coming back here?
no way - no plans for number three! can barely cope with two!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now