Talk

Advanced search

Help! Are my bfing days over?

(8 Posts)
monkeysmama Fri 29-May-09 22:13:39

Dd is just one & for the past week, but particuarly 3 days, has been biting me so hard during feeding & just not eating. We've never had any problems (she's excl bf) and I don't know what to do.

We start a feed & she bites hard within seconds, again after a minute then cries & pulls away. I don't know what to do. Intended to bf for another few months. My HV said today it's often a sign babies have had enough?! And dd doesn't seem upset really.

I've expressed a few times which is the only milk she's had but don't know what to do.

How long before my milk goes?

I'm really sad.

tiktok Fri 29-May-09 23:01:38

What a shame your HV was not able to recognise what sounds like a clear case of 'nursing strike'...a baby of this young age rarely decides long-term they have 'had enough'.

It could be teething, or related to some sort of distress or upset that may have or may not have anything to do with an experience at the breast.

You could search for nursing strike in the archives here on mumsnet, and on the internet. It's also a question familiar to most breastfeeding counsellors so a call to the helplines may give you some ideas and support.

Hang on in there - and don't force the issue. Your milk will be there for ages, though supply might drop - easily retriveable after this length of time, though.

Hope this helps.

TortillaDeMaiz Fri 29-May-09 23:41:32

When you say she's exlcusively breastfed, do you mean she's not having any solids yet? or just that she doesn't have any other type of milk? (sorry if it's a silly question, I'm just curious.)

KristinaM Fri 29-May-09 23:47:29

dont be sad...as tiktok says, its just a phase

she will start up again soon

please dont get upset

your Hv is an idiot obviously inexperienced

monkeysmama Sat 30-May-09 19:42:04

Thank you for the support. I've expressed a bit again today.

She eats food, I meant exclusively breast fed as opposed to breast and formula fed.

My biggest worry has been my milk "drying up"-I've heard so much about it I figured a few days of not feeding & it'd go. Am getting about 4fl oz out a day in expressed milk but until the weekend I'd been feeding her every few hours for 12 months.

Thanks again, I don't know anyone who's fed after 12 months so have noone to ask for advice. Will search nursing strikes now.

BCLass Sat 30-May-09 20:11:16

try kellymom - fab resource for all things breast

RosemaryBingle Sat 30-May-09 20:12:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mookickkick Tue 02-Jun-09 19:19:08

Hi there, any change? I've been getting the same thing. This morning, DD (11 months) showed very little interest in either boob, and just now, she latched on for a few seconds and then bit me and wouldn't take anymore. Until now she's been a total milkmonster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now