Talk

Advanced search

SLINGS FROM BIRTH

(15 Posts)
MERMAIDKB Fri 29-May-09 15:48:39

I hav bought a wilkinet sling with the intention of using as much as possible in the early months. I tried putting my baby in it for the first time this week (2 weeks ol) and his head keeps flopping forward.

Have those of you who have used slings for the first few months used them from birth.. I have to say my little one was born small just 4lb 14 oz but we have managed to bump up his weight to 5llbs (minimum weight for wilkinet) but he still doesn't look right.

Any advice would be much appreciated as we do not have a buggy and I need to get out of the house.

Ordered Mountain Buggy swift in February but still awaiting delivery as the company has done bust and going through administration - Phil and Teds have bought the company but are unable to provide details on delivery.

littlelamb Fri 29-May-09 15:51:06

Get a wrap sling. I used a Kari Me and a Close, but a Moby or similar is fine. They can then be carried curled up and close to you. Makes me misty eyed to think of carrying ds like this last summer. He's a bit of a lump now grin

diedandgonetodevon Fri 29-May-09 15:55:39

I used a Babasling from birth as I found it easy to bf in then moved onto a Babyhawk when he was a bit bigger.

undomesticatedgoddess Fri 29-May-09 16:22:53

Hi

Would definitely recommend a wrap sling. I've a cupboard full of others that I've tried and not got on with. I love my wrap sling as it distributes the weight to the waist/hip more than others.

I'm not sure if there is much to choose between the different brands. I went for calin blue as the fabric is quite light weight and we are promised a nice summer!

I also made one from heavy jersey which I got from our local fabric shop for £2 /metre. You need 5metres and it doesn't need sewing as the jersey doesn't frey. There are websites with instructions on how to make your own on t'internet and also how to tie them.

You could also see if there is a slingmeet near you so you could try them before you buy.

That's a bit of a pain about your buggy.

MERMAIDKB Fri 29-May-09 16:31:59

I feel odd going out without baby or husband.. spent 5 days in hospital with baby and now coming to end of second week at home with husband although it has been nice and there are days where just wanted to be at home - jsut the 3 of us - was hoping that we would have been able to enjoy a stroll outside by now. I beginning to feel really down.. and the weather is so nice..

dorisbonkers Fri 29-May-09 16:48:27

Another vote for wrap slings. I used a stretchy in the newborn phase and then progressed to a calinbleu gauze (lived in Singapore and needed an airy one) and

Cradle holds are good for newborns but I always do a front cross carry for long walks. Beginning to do back carries as she's 7 months.
I recently bought a Girasol wrap which I think is the dog's. Incredibly comfortable and supportive.

I do not own a pram. Never needed one in seven months so far as I always lug her about in a wrap. I've also had ring slings and pouches and an ergo but as undomesticated goddess says, nothing quite like a wrap for distributing weight and leaving you hands free.

undomesticatedgoddess Fri 29-May-09 16:51:25

Hi Mermaid

It does keep you sane being able to go out for a walk and get out of the house. I'm not one for staying home myself so know where you are coming from.

Is there anybody who could lend you a buggy? Or buy one of the stroller type that is not too expensive that you could use again when DS older.

I've bought buggies for both of mine which I think at the time I'll use right through. DS 2 is only 10 weeks old and already I'm eying up those light weight strollers........

Could also see if there are any NCT sales locally as you can normally pick up second hand buggies at reasonable price (then sell it on at the next sale if you don't want to keep it)

Try not to let it get you down and get out there smile.

Satsuma1 Fri 29-May-09 19:36:12

Another vote for wraps. There are various kinds, but they are ideal for newborns.

Tambajam Fri 29-May-09 19:43:59

I like a Maya lightly padded ring sling for my newborn.

ChocOrange05 Fri 29-May-09 20:01:07

Kari Me was the one we used and found it really good from birth.

TamTam29 Sat 30-May-09 13:36:26

While you are waiting, look on youtube as there maybe a video to help you adjust your wilkinit to sort a teeny newborn.

I know with some carriers you can roll up a cloth or muslin to provide a bit more support for babies head.

Mij Sat 30-May-09 14:07:01

I always recommend a stretchy wrap for newborns, but as you have a Wilkinet it's still worth having a go at getting that one to work for you!

As TamTam says, check out youtube and search under Wilkinet, bet there's some stuff on there about positioning.

My other thought was that you haven't got it quite high enough. Your LO is a teeny babe, but even so any sling that doesn't have anything between you and the baby, you should be able to get tight enough for them to use your chest to rest their head and sleep on. The advice with slings in general is that their forehead should be at 'kissable' height i.e. you should be able to bend your head down to plant a smacker on their forehead without stretching too far.

Scaredycat3000 Sun 31-May-09 14:39:03

I love my wrap grin If you go to www.wearyourbaby.com there are instructions on how to do your own, you need 5m of t-shirt material and a pair of scissors, and videos of how to do it. You could even by the material off ebay. You can ajust it to support head, sheld from the weather and the feeling you get when you look at each other it wonderful (for Dad to). I love the freedom of not using a buggy.

TBM Sun 31-May-09 20:42:29

I wrap and did with my premature/ IUGR baby almost from birth, when I wasn't wrapping she was in my clothes. It's so snug and cosy, they're well supported and you get constant cuddles! grin

I make my own and it's so easy. Best fabrics are ones that don't fray so don't need sewing or over-locking. Just buy 5 meters and cut it along the length into three. Sell or give the others to friends or eBay/freecycle.

EsmeWeatherwax Mon 01-Jun-09 23:05:00

I've got a Wilkinet too, dd2 is a bit biggerthan yours, but what I did find was that initially I had her much too low down in it, so she couldn't rest her head on my chest. I watched one of the instructional videos on the Wilkinet site, and they said her head should be level with your chin when tying the sling, I tried it this way and it worked really well, and its really comfortable to wear!

video is here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now