Talk

Advanced search

How thick should baby rice made with EBM be?

(12 Posts)
ilovemuffins Thu 28-May-09 09:58:35

Morning all,

so far I've only given DS baby rice made with EBM. This morning I tried to make it with formula, using the same quantities (1tbsp rice to 4 tbsp milk), and it was soooo much thicker. I knew it was normal for EBM to make the rice a little runnier than formula, but I'm now wondering if my EBM simply contains too little fat?

The rice made with EBM is already very runny to start with and within five minutes it's almost the same consistentcy as the milk without the rice. Is that normal???

tia :-)

SoupDragon Thu 28-May-09 10:01:31

Personally, I'd forget about the baby rice altogether.

ilovemuffins Thu 28-May-09 10:06:43

I know what you mean soupdragon - i'm not such a big fan either, but ds seems to like it. i dont actually spoonfeed him, just fill the spoon and give it to him. he loves to play with it and even occasionally licks the spoon with pleasure. wonder if that qualifies as blw?? :-)

ilovemuffins Thu 28-May-09 10:08:48

anyway, the point is whether whether the fat content in my milk is lower than average? He has always been a very frequent feeder - demand fed every couple of hours or so since he was born 7 months ago

SoupDragon Thu 28-May-09 10:11:43

I doubt it means that. Maybe the milk you manage to express isn't so fatty because the pump isn't as efficient as a baby

I used baby rice lots with DS1, little with DS2 and not at all with DD Vile stuff

flamingobingo Thu 28-May-09 10:16:16

I think it does do different things with bmilk than with formula milk. Bit of a waste of money though - bet you can find far nicer things he'll enjoy just as much! grin

LadyBee Thu 28-May-09 10:17:32

I noticed this with rice made up with EBM, I don't think it's anything to do with the fat content though, I suspect it's just what EBM does to babyrice. My EBM did this to rice, my DS wasn't a frequent feeder he was demand fed but rarely asked more than 3hrs or so from about 10 weeks (he fed more frequently before that). I suppose fat content might vary between people, but I suspect this isn't why you have a frequent feeder, or why the rice goes runny.
BTW, I found rice quite a useful thing - I added to stuff to make more gluggy so he could manage it on a spoon without it falling off all the time as he waved it around. There's nothing wrong with spoons, they're very useful pieces of cutlery grin

ilovemuffins Thu 28-May-09 10:54:47

thanks all - sounds like all is ok with my milk then! he does like other stuff as well, fortunately - especially pieces of fruit and boring rice cakes. not like he eats much yet, but its early days still.

Tambajam Thu 28-May-09 11:03:03

EBM contains enzymes that literally digest the baby rice. It gets thinner as it sits there. After a few minutes the difference is noticeable. Don't have any concerns about the quality of your milk. This pre-digestion makes it easier for nutrients to be bioavailable for baby.

MrsHD Fri 29-May-09 21:23:44

EBM should be used as an industrial solvent, it's incredible! I tend to use formula for porridge, having given up on baby rice yik, but am hoping I can start sneaking in cow's milk soon for porridge purposes.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 29-May-09 21:40:03

I just use cows milk for things like cereal and porridge for my DS (but only after he was six months), precisely because of the industrial thinning qualities of EBM!

plum baby do a four grain (gluten free) porridge that is much, much nicer than baby rice, it even has a bit of a taste to it!

MrsHD Mon 01-Jun-09 21:03:25

I use millet for DS, which he seems to like - esp the bit where he scoops it off the spoon with his fingers, that's really great that bit is hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now