Talk

Advanced search

refusing a bottle...HELP ME PLEASE....

(13 Posts)
Tipex Fri 06-May-05 21:58:57

I know theres another thread currently about this and I have read all the archived messages but can someone PLEASE give me some reassurance that this will change...my 11 week old breast fed baby was taking the occasional bottle of EBM until this week when he has suddenly refused point blank. He doesnt just roll the teat around and spit it out he howls like we are trying to poison him. He was taking a standard avent teat but we have tried Mam teats, tommee tippee, nuk and even a sippee cup but he is having none of it. We have tried different times of day, different stages of hunger, DH, me out the room, in the room, slipping it on whilst on the booob etc etc! I really need him to take it for going back to work as well as my sanity!. Has anyone had this where baby has refused for a bit and then started taking a bottle again? Any help gratefully received.

marne Fri 06-May-05 22:05:53

Have you tried the tommy tippee nubby teats? supposed to be good.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 06-May-05 22:06:43

When are you due back at work?

I'm afraid my DS2 went off the bottle, because we didn't bother for ages, but luckily we didn't really care ... I'm sure others will have solutions.

Katemum Fri 06-May-05 22:39:15

My dd wouldnt take the Avent teat, tried everyday for weeks and she howled the place down and would rather fall asleep hungry than have the teat in her mouth. In the end i bought some Chicco physioligical ones, from large Boots stores, she took to them straight away and we havn't looked back. The Chicco look like the old fashioned latex teat and are much softer than the clear ones. They are supposed to be closer to the feel of a breastfeed.
Worth a try.

Tipex Sat 07-May-05 10:17:54

I'll definately try them then. its good to hear of someone who did eventually crack it. I return to work in 2 weeks and have no idea what we'll do if he wont take it my then. Doesnt bear thinking about! Anyone have any other ideas this morning?

SenoraPostrophe Sat 07-May-05 10:24:17

probably not what you want to hear, tipex, but ds never did take to a bottle (and Tamum said hers were the same).

However he did take up to an ounce occasionally from a cup when I was nowhere to be seen (just leaving the room was not enough). When I started working it was awkward, but I altered his routine so that he had big feeds before and after being with someone else. I was only part time though. I'm pretty sure that if I was away for a whole day he would have taken more, though it would have been very hard on the childminder!

fletchie Sat 07-May-05 15:46:40

I am in exactly the same boat - my 11 week old howls if she so much as looks at one yet was happy to feed from a bottle last week. I am not going back to work just yet but am off to a wedding at the end of the month without my little darling and am leaving her with a friend hopefully will crack it by then! My HV said to persevere which is much easier said than done. A call to Barnados might be needed soon!

docket Sat 07-May-05 17:19:39

Katemum, do you remember whether the chicco teats would fit an avent/other bottle?
TIA

matnanplus Sat 07-May-05 17:57:21

Hang in there Tipex, it will get better.

Might i suggest a concerted effort to avoid boob for several feeds to really get the message that bottle is good and not reinforce the refuse bottle get boob message.

Tho no children have worked in this field for years and yes babes are stubborn, they do associate things and aim to always get their own way wherever poss.

Have had good success with mam teats as they are some of the softest on the UK market, make sure the milk is warm. it can some times help if you can introduce the teat while babe is sleep sucking b4 fully waking.

All the best

hermykne Sat 07-May-05 18:05:51

have you seen nuk or playtex bottles, i used playtex with dd & ds, who also refused point blank.

Waswondering Sat 07-May-05 18:11:08

there was an article in the Times today about this - something about holding the child firmly but away from you, and then they drink 5oz (apparently!!). I'll see if i can find it for you . . .

Waswondering Sat 07-May-05 18:13:11

the times article

Katemum Sat 07-May-05 20:58:28

No the teats don't fit the Avent bottles, sorry. The Chicco bottle has a little hole, valve thing, and is a slightly smaller size.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now