Talk

Advanced search

10 month old suddenly refusing to breast feed

(4 Posts)
beckypay Thu 05-May-05 21:00:23

My 10 month old has suddenly started to refuse breastfeeding. She has been teething all week and in a lot of pain. Last night for the first time ever she refused breast feeding. I panicked, thinking she wouldn't sleep all night and poured formula from a cup into her mouth. She took about 4 ounces. Tonight has been the same, although she took about 6 ounces. She has been fine in herself, eating enough and I gave her 6 petite filous to make sure she had enough calcium today. Anyone had the same problem?

NotQuiteCockney Thu 05-May-05 21:04:27

Sounds like a nursing strike. Do you want to keep breastfeeding? Do you want to move to formula?

There are some tips here , for getting her feeding again.

katzguk Thu 05-May-05 21:12:41

my DD did this at about 10 months, i took it as self weaning and went with it, she slowly drop a feed a week and by 11 months was fully off of the breast. If you want to finish breast feeding, i found this made it feel so guilt free because it was her decision

zebraX Thu 05-May-05 21:14:54

And if you do want to continue br'feeding I would cut the formula & just try to coax her back on when you both have a quiet, peaceful moment.

I yelled at DS2 for biting me the other day & he refused to nurse for about 4 hours afterwards, he really wanted to, but was afraid. Finally he summed up his courage & hasn't bitten me since, either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now