Talk

Advanced search

OK, so now dd2 has dropped off 25th centile - just need some reassurance please!

(14 Posts)
sassy Thu 05-May-05 15:52:02

Had her weighed at the baby clinic yesterday and she is now 16 weeks and 12lb8oz. She has gained about 1lb per month over last 2-3 months. She feeds well - about every 1 and 1/2 hours in daytime, though not at all between 10pm and 7am (Good sleeper, lucky me). Has lots os wet nappies, a yellow pooey one about every 2 days on average. SHe is lively, healthy looking, has fat on her, so not scrawny IYKWIM. I KNOW she's doing fine, but look around at other babies and she's a dot in comparison. Please tell me she's ok!

Enid Thu 05-May-05 15:55:36

She sounds gorgeous is she bfed - I think those damn charts are designed for bottle fed babes

sassy Thu 05-May-05 15:57:33

Yes Enid, bfed.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 05-May-05 15:59:36

I'm sure she's fine. Are you and your DH/DP on the small side? That sometimes makes babies smaller. (That being said, DH and I are not small, but DS1 was skinny as a baby, and is now a skinny, tall, very pleasant 3-year-old.)

Please don't worry. She sounds great.

moondog Thu 05-May-05 16:05:38

Sounds just like my dd was. Wouldn't worry-everything sounds fine. Easier on your back too! lol!
(My dd is now a real strapping 4 year old!)

BeachedWhale Thu 05-May-05 16:07:13

Sassy, she sounds just like my DD who is 17 weeks and recently dropped from 25th to 9th centile. she was 7lb 3oz at birth and is now only about 12lb 5 oz. Like your DD she is feeding and sleeping well and when I look at her in the bath she seems to have plenty of fat on her so I don't think she fading away. Am b/f so I was a bit worried and consulted HV but other than telling me to eat more biscuits and cakes she didn't seem to have much else to say. I get fed up with others telling me how light she feels when they pick her up but I think as long as she looks healthy and happy and she keep putting on weight,albeit slowly, then she's fine as I'm sure your DD is too

Marina Thu 05-May-05 16:07:33

My ds gradually slithered down from 90th at birth to 9th at six months. You have listed all the signs of a flourishing baby, you don't really need us to tell you she sounds just fine!

moondog Thu 05-May-05 16:10:10

Who wants a big fat baby anyway??
I see some babies that imho are already on their way to al lifetime of heftiness!

Forgetmenot Thu 05-May-05 16:11:37

My little dot was only 14lb at 16 weeks she was 7lb at birth. I breastfed for 13 months, the hv were concerned that she was tiny, especially as she got poorly a couple of times and her weight dipped.
I read somewhere that the charts are indeed based on bottle fed babies and therefore bf ones will be smaller. Having said that dd1 was breast fed for 11 months and she was at the top end of the scale!
If i had been a first time mum with dd2 I probably would have worried and gone on the bottle but as you say your little one is sleeping well and if she's not waking up between 10 and 7 (lucky you) then she isn't hungry, so I wouldn't worry at all.

JustTryALittleTouch Thu 05-May-05 16:21:48

My HV once told me I was starving DS, becuse he had dropped a tiny bit below the 50th centile line, but I know he is doing good, and I couldnt give a toss what that old witch says

hunkermunker Thu 05-May-05 16:27:30

She sounds absolutely fine. DS was very similar - born on 75th (HV still bangs on about this, despite him being a year old now!) and has dropped to between 9th and 25th. However, he's chubby, long, happy, active, lively, alert, learning things, developing, etc, etc.

I stopped having DS weighed when she started telling me to give him veg purees to get his weight up rather than the far more calorific breastmilk he was having by the pint!

Youd DD sounds ADORABLE. I was a little dot when I was a baby, so I think that's why DS is lighter than average. And half of babies will be under the 50th centile anyway - HVs aren't necessarily mathematicians though and want them all over the 50th... LOL!

MarsLady Thu 05-May-05 16:30:53

She's fine! DT1 was on the 9th for blimming ages. In fact she's probably still there, or was it the 2nd. Let me look.........

Ok, she started just above 0.4, then dropped below, went back up and has stayed steady just on the 2nd. She's completely healthy, eats well, climbs well, looks gorgeously fab! You DD is fine

littlerach Thu 05-May-05 16:55:03

DD2 born on 50th centile, steadily dropped and dropped until she came to rest on 2nd, then nudged back up tp 9th. She noe goes between the 2 and she is 9 months. HV talked of paeds etc and extra calorie formula (she is bottle fed) but she is thriving and on the move, reached each milestone. You know your baby, you'd know if there was a problem.

sassy Thu 05-May-05 17:34:56

thanks to all for telling me what i already knew, just good to be told this stuff sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now