Talk

Advanced search

11 month old won't breastfeed anymore?

(44 Posts)
BeatrixRotter Wed 20-May-09 08:03:18

I was just wondering if my DD was self weaning?

She was on 4 bfs a day, she has just started to refuse the bedtime feed and now this morning I've tried to feed her as normal and she gets really upset and fights to get away. She drank a little milk from a cup but is fine in herself and playing happily.

Is this the end, or a temporary strike? I guess I always thought I'd choose the last feed.

wastingmyeducation Wed 20-May-09 10:06:23

It could be that she's teething. It might be worth expressing any feeds she won't take while continuing to offer. smile

BeatrixRotter Wed 20-May-09 10:42:10

I would be sad to think this is the end. I just don't know how many drinks of milk/water to give her as an alternative so am hoping it is just a phase. Breastfeeding is so convenient.

BeatrixRotter Wed 20-May-09 19:57:31

24 hours with no breastfeeds. I'm really sad to think I won't do it again. I wasn't planning on doing it until she left home, but would have liked to carry on a little longer. Gutted

wastingmyeducation Wed 20-May-09 22:28:33

It could well be a nursing strike, so if you don't want to wean yet, you can keep offering.

I haven't experienced a strike, but have seen many posts about this that might give you some more info.

BeatrixRotter Thu 21-May-09 16:20:05

Thanks. Have looked at the other threads and tried a few things such as different positions and a bath but no joy yet. Am really confused, felt quite sad yesterday but most people seem to think I should be happy about it. Not sure whether to persist or not.

wuglet Thu 21-May-09 20:25:14

I have had several nursing strikes and they are horrible aren't they? I am sure there is some sort of hormone thing going on when you suddenly stop feeding that turns you into an emotional wreck.

Is completely up to you of course what you decide to do, but please don't be persuaded that stopping is for the best if that isn't what you want to do.

Happy to offer advice on trying to get her back to the breast if you would like (although it might not be the best advice - took me nineteen sodding days to do it last time!)

BeatrixRotter Thu 21-May-09 21:33:14

That would be great wuglet.

It is horrible, felt so sad to think that I had my last breastfeed without even knowing it.

She has been wanting loads of hugs today and I did sit around topless for a while and she was burying her head in them for a cuddle. No sign of latching on though.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Thu 21-May-09 21:36:39

Just a thought as this happened to a friend of mine. She actually doesn't think she had any/much milk left which was why her Dd stopped it(at 11 months too).

wuglet Thu 21-May-09 21:53:47

Ok......

Don't try to force things. Sit around with your tits out and a nonchalant air of "these are available for feeding purposes if anyone was in the mood..."

Try latching on in different positions. Walking around is supposed to be a good one although there was no way I could have managed that with my fat lad bouncing boy!

I found it helpful to "assume the nursing position" without trying to latch on, just playing together so the position wasn't seen as a big stressful thing.

Try offering when she is still sleepy (?do you co-sleep) as they seem to be in less of a mood to protest then and you might catch her unawares.

I did try totally withholding any milk at one stage (during the long strike) to see if he would change his mind if BF was the only way he was going to get any milk. Lasted 48hrs before I cracked but am sure other babies might fall for this one.

The thing that worked for me in the end (and TBH might just be a coincidence) was getting him back on the bottle - he had been drinking from a cup for the few months beforehand and refusing the bottle - to try to engineer some reverse nipple confusion.

Erm...thinks that's about all.

Good luck with it!

BeatrixRotter Thu 21-May-09 22:00:31

thanks wuglet, might sit with my baps out all morning tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on.

smellen Thu 21-May-09 22:01:57

www.kellymom.com has advice on nursing strikes (which is what they call this before 12mths if I remember correctly).

I moved house and had D&V when DS1 was 11mths, and that sort of knocked our BFing on the head. Luckily he was keen on water and took to cow's milk a few weeks later. DS2 is 16mths and shows no sign of weaning, and fairly unimpressed with cow's milk. I think there is an element of different things for different babies too.

If it's the end of your BFing, you have done a brilliant job in feeding him for most of his first year, so don't feel too sad.

smellen Thu 21-May-09 22:02:09

Sorry, her!

wuglet Fri 22-May-09 17:18:48

Just checking in.

How are things going?

BeatrixRotter Fri 22-May-09 19:24:46

No change I'm sorry to say. She's not been well and has spent most of the afternoon sleeping on my naked chest. No sign of latching on though.

There are more things I can try though.

I'm just it is just a torture youself mum blame thing but keep thinking it is because I am planning my return to work?

wuglet Fri 22-May-09 19:48:28

"I'm just it is just a torture youself mum blame thing but keep thinking it is because I am planning my return to work?"

No it isn't

I had a horrendous time with the last strike, I was convinced it was because I had gone back to work (even though the previous two were when I was on maternity leave). TBH I was fairly teary for the first full week or so - it just seems such a basic thing to do, feed your child, and I just couldn't do it.

If you do not feel ready to stop then hang on in there <digs out pompoms> you can do it!

BeatrixRotter Fri 22-May-09 19:52:37

You did well to understand that, it was quite garbled!

wuglet Fri 22-May-09 19:56:53

Yes I thought it best to just C+P it rather then try to translate it into English!!

wink

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sat 23-May-09 00:50:37

Bea, perhaps it is because she's not well? There's such a lot of crap going about. My Dd has been unwell all this week and has at least 3 huge ulcers at the back of her throat by her tonsils. Have you checked for a sore mouth?

plimple Sat 23-May-09 00:55:33

Is she eating normally? If so I wouldn't worry too much. Bummer if you aren't ready, but if she is, she is I guess?

BeatrixRotter Sat 23-May-09 10:17:42

She is eating normally, at the moment I just wish she'd drink something as she is feverish and the nappies are quite dry. She drinks a little but not enough IMO.

The GP saw her yesterday and checked her over. Could all be connected I suppose. In the meantime my boobs continue to be 'available' if she changes her mind. I feel a bit like I was in my single days, trying not to appear needy and desperate.

wuglet Sat 23-May-09 20:43:15

How has today been?
Hoping for a breakthrough

BeatrixRotter Sat 23-May-09 21:20:57

No....still the same. Am a bit sad. She still very poorly so I am hoping maybe when she gets better she might have another try. I sort of feel that she won't.

Thanks for asking though. I'm going to keep up with the skin to skin and baths when she gets better. Haven't tried a bottle yet, might go for it tomorrow.

wuglet Sat 23-May-09 21:24:40

Feeling for you - it is horrible isn't it, especially if she is ill.

Hope things improve. x

BeatrixRotter Sat 23-May-09 22:08:12

Feeding is like the magic make everything better normally. Saw a liitle one today who was doing that open mouthed rooting thing on his mother. However it's not a done deal yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now