Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mixed feeding - HOORAY!!!!

(29 Posts)
boobie Wed 04-May-05 22:42:39

After two months of trying, stopping and starting again, buying every bottle/teat/cup on the market and patience trying bottle pushing screaming sessions my DD is now taking two bottles of formula a day ready for my return to work with bf morn and night . She was succesfully fed in nursery today and took bottle with no fuss . It can be done!

chipmonkey Thu 05-May-05 13:51:20

Excellent, boobie, I've talked to you on other threads. I still haven't cracked it with ds3

chipmonkey Thu 05-May-05 19:00:26

Boobie, was there anything in particular that really worked? Should I let dh feed him? What teat? should I let him starve till he takes the bottle?

Tipex Thu 05-May-05 20:30:10

boobie, do tell the secret! My 11 week old DS has just started refusing bottles of expressed milk despite doing it fine for the last 2 weeks. All advice gratefully received!

Looneytunes Thu 05-May-05 21:24:08

Have just had the same problem, but success, my DD is finally taking one bottle feed a day, the rest breast. The teats that worked for me are the NUK ones with wide neck, she gagged on all other teats.

boobie Thu 05-May-05 22:20:04

I wish I could say there was a secret ladies but all I did was persist and not give in. I offered DD the bottle at same time feed every day and after trying various teats/cups went back to avent which she took before refusal started.I nearly gave up once and left it for a week but had no choice but to try again. At first she made holy hell of a fuss and took hardly anything (she's on solids so wasn't going to starve) and did not offer breast until next feed time. She caught on quick and held out for this feed so I introduced bottle at next feed too, as if I was in work all day. Gradually over the last two weeks she has reduced the amount of fussing and taken more milk. Now she is so used to it she guzzles immediately and takes as much as she needs. I can't believe it! She still loves her bf too. The hardest thing is not giving comfort feeds during day.

chipmonkey Fri 06-May-05 02:17:07

OK, I'll just keep trying. He used to take a bottle of EBM with no fuss. This is a new thing. Driving me nuts!

chipmonkey Fri 06-May-05 13:44:50

Anyone else got any ideas?

docket Fri 06-May-05 17:53:33

boobie, thanks for posting, i am having a nightmare with my 6 month ds who will not take the bottle at all. it's really reassuring to hear that it can be done, i'm going to try your approach, starting tomorrow!

docket Fri 06-May-05 17:55:16

ps chipmonkey, if you do find something that works will you let me know (and visa versa of course) good luck!

chipmonkey Sat 07-May-05 00:23:45

Well, a little success! But OMG, how harrowing! Today I bought an Avent Variable flow teat. I bought it because I wondered whether keeping him on the newborn teat had put him off the bottle because the flow was too slow. I got the slow flow one yesterday but he seemed to be just as unhappy with that. Rather than buy every size i got the variable one. Well I sat with him with the fast-flow side up because he refused to suck so i reckoned that it might at least drip faster into his mouth. If he attempted to suck, he gagged a bit so i moved it round to the medium setting. He took that for a minute, then gagged and looked like he was choking. Sat him up, patted his back and went straight back into it. continued like this for 1 1/2 hours after which he started sucking properly and finished the bottle on the slow setting. This by the way was only 60ml in total, not a big 8oz bottle! Then I bf him for a while and cuddled him. Very gruelling but I'm going to try again tomorrow. Nerves of steel. Feeling like a cruel mammy!

chipmonkey Sat 07-May-05 00:26:15

BTW, this is my third baby! Neither of the first two gave this amount of trouble, they went from breast to bottle and back as if there was no difference between the two. I think ds1 and ds2 must have read the Avent website. ds3 obviously hasn't!

docket Sat 07-May-05 08:20:31

Great news Chipmonkey, any progress however small, is to be applauded!

Have just expressed and am planning to leave the house this afternoon to let dp have a go (he doesn't know that yet!)

chipmonkey Sun 08-May-05 02:44:42

similar again today, docket. Am thinking of getting this bottle How did you get on today?

tigermoth Sun 08-May-05 06:44:19

long time ago for me, but I can vividy remember how happy and relieved I was when my baby sons happily took feeds from a bottle as well as my breast. Just knowing I could leave my baby for a few hours, knowing someone else could feed them, made such a huge mental difference to me. I too needed to return to work, and once I did, mixed feeding worked well, but I was able to continue breast feeding for many months afterwards. Good luck!

docket Sun 08-May-05 10:12:19

chipmonkey, ds took about 20mls yesterday but it wasn't pretty. am going to go out and get some latex nuk teats today as they have been recommended to me, more like the breast apparently (like your link i guess). spoke to my midwife sister who has been asking around for me and the same thing keeps coming back - persistence is the only thing that works. i thought that was what i had been doing...

chipmonkey Sun 08-May-05 13:24:08

I know what you mean. My problem is that ds3 is also very persistent in refusing!

docket Sun 08-May-05 17:11:13

a breakthrough! ds drank about 4 oz from a nuk bottle with a latex teat. the brown ones, allegedly they most resemble nipples (not mine i hope!) so would recommend trying those if you haven't already.

chipmonkey Mon 09-May-05 13:27:58

Well done docket! I have ordered the breastbottle and have bought some brown latex teats from boots today, couldn't find any NUK ones there but know where I can get them. Am a bit at myselt for ordering the breastbottle because its v. expensive but if he takes it it'll be worth it.

docket Tue 10-May-05 09:59:00

cm, when ds drank from the bottle (he did again yesterday) i put him in his highchair facing me, he seemed more willing when he wasn't being held in his usual feeding position. hope you have some success soon

chipmonkey Tue 10-May-05 10:34:51

well, docket, now that I have ordered the expensive breastbottle, he has decided that he will, in fact, drink from a cheapo Boots wide-fitting latex teat! I bought the Boots teats because I thought they would fit the Avent bottles that I have. However they didn't "click" in properly, they are balanced at the top of the bottle and then I have to screw the lid on to hold them in place. But it worked!, ds3 chewed it out of the side of his mouth for a while, then I "snuck" it in to the middle of his mouth and hooray, he sucked! Big relief! Its ds1's first communion on Saturday and I am leaving ds3 with my SIL for the ceremony, not pleasant for her if he's hungry and won't drink!

docket Tue 10-May-05 11:53:39

Hurrah!

Annoying that he did it once you'd shelled out for the breastbottle but it's such a relief to know they will isn't it?!

chipmonkey Wed 11-May-05 03:38:24

And now he won't!!! this child is really giving me the run-around. But at least I know that deep-down he can take a bottle, just a stubborn little tyke!

docket Wed 11-May-05 11:16:47

mine was less than enthusiastic yesterday too. still, once they can they can in my book! it is a relief.

boobie Wed 11-May-05 13:43:26

A light at end of tunnel post ladies. My DD is now guzzling approx 6/8oz of formula twice a day and no more fuss, so I can go back to work Monday with peace of mind. Glad to know you're making progress, I think persistence is the key, best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now