Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

breastfeeding, thrush, how long does treatment take

(12 Posts)
hermykne Wed 04-May-05 21:34:07

i am now after reading various archived threads, suspecting thrush, whats my best courseof action - bar no wine , sugary things and actimel
do i need drugs? and before i only ever got one tablet and i see on the threads it takes maybe 2wks of treatment - is that one every day

oh and baby, he has no signs in his mouth

moondog Wed 04-May-05 21:35:36

The one tablet treatment should kick in in 48 hours ime.

Laura032004 Wed 04-May-05 21:44:23

I've never been prescribed the tablets by my GP, so have used Canesten cream & pessaries, and timodine for baby. Was told to use for a few days after we thought we were clear.

Took ages to get properly rid - ended up doing a pessary a week for 4 weeks.

HTH and you get rid of it!

hoxtonchick Wed 04-May-05 21:52:16

i took diflucan tablets for a week i think, & ds had nystatin drops. cleared it up fine

hermykne Wed 04-May-05 22:22:27

thanks all
is it enevitable that baby will get it ?

Laura032004 Thu 05-May-05 09:14:21

I've had a few bouts lately where I've not treated ds, and all has been fine. But I do keep the pessaries etc in the house, and tend to catch it very early. I think the longer it's left the more likely baby is to catch it too.

When ds has had thrush, as well as the furry mouth, he also gets a horrid nappy rash. Has your baby got anything like that? If so, and you're using cloth nappies, you need to do a really hot service wash. We resorted to microwaving in the end, but the nappy forum could tell you more about that.

popsycal Thu 05-May-05 09:18:54

i have this again in my breasts and ds2 has it in his mouth....
we had it about a month ago and i dont think ds2's cleared up properly so he has reinfected me

he has nystatin drops and i have canesten cream....you must complete the dose...I didnt with ds2 and it has returned
I think HVs can prescribed treatment for thrush though i may be wrong

popsycal Thu 05-May-05 09:19:33

i have this again in my breasts and ds2 has it in his mouth....
we had it about a month ago and i dont think ds2's cleared up properly so he has reinfected me

he has nystatin drops and i have canesten cream....you must complete the dose...I didnt with ds2 and it has returned
I think HVs can prescribed treatment for thrush though i may be wrong

hermykne Thu 05-May-05 10:23:58

laura
ds has no nappy rash and i cant see into his mouth for long enough but it doesnt look evident in there.

pop
do you use the canestan on your nipples? is that a too private question?

popsycal Thu 05-May-05 19:59:35

yes...that is what i was prescribed 1% stuff.....
twice a day,,,,,,

Laura032004 Fri 06-May-05 15:32:54

I was told that the Canestan was fine to use on nipples, and that I didn't need to wash it off before feeding (which I didn't like the sound of TBH). I used the oral gel which was prescribed for ds (he preferred this to the drops) on my nipples as the pharmacist said that was fine too.

I would treat ds even if no symptoms, as once it gets a real hold, it's horrid to treat.

HTH

flic23 Fri 06-May-05 15:42:56

I had nipple thrush at the same time as my sons mouth thrush. We were given dacarin me cream him gel. I had to apply the cream topically after each breast feed it cleared up in about a week if i remember rightly and did not recur in me but DS did develop up a nasty case in his nappy a couple of months later. Once this was treated with cream it cleared up quickly too. I was pleasd at how well it had cleared as i had read horror stories about how hard it was to get rid of

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now