Talk

Advanced search

Why am I suddenly getting lots of blocked ducts?

(4 Posts)
BeachedWhale Wed 04-May-05 15:51:50

Have been b/f for 4 months now with no problem apart from getting things going in the first few weeks.
Over the last week or so I have been getting lots of blocked ducts. I've used the advice on the archived b/f threads to clear them which seems to do the trick (massaging, hot flannels, feeding a lot, ibruprofen etc) Normally this works within 24 hours.
I am wondering why I am suddenly getting this now and why it's happened four times in the last couple of weeks. It is happening in both breasts and not always in the same place on the breast each time. I can't see any pattern or cause. DD seems to latching on ok. Any suggestions?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 04-May-05 20:22:42

Have you changed feeding positions? Or bras? Has DD started solids, or started teething, and hence is maybe feeding less?

Aero Wed 04-May-05 20:47:43

No idea why bw, but huge sympathy! This happened to me loads while feeding ds2 (just stopped recently), and it is sooooo annoying (not to mention painful). I had no clue why as has successfully bf'd ds1 and dd before. Have to say though that ds2 was a rubbish latcher, no matter how many times he was re-positioned and he also had a habit of pulling away from the breast. I perservered and am glad I did, but it would be enough to put me off bf (if I hadn't known better from previous experience)! Hope you don't get too many more, or if you do, that they never develop into mastitis!

Harrie Thu 05-May-05 23:17:37

Are your bras are okay and not underwired or digging in? also I had a habit of holding my boob away from my babies nose with my index finger which can cause blocked ducts. Ensure one breast is being completely empied at each feed before swapping to the other. Maybe feed more often or express more. Hopefully it will pass, am doing a breast feeding peer support course so will add to this if I find any further info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now