Talk

Advanced search

feeding in the night and then not hungry in the morning..

(5 Posts)
mckenzie Mon 02-May-05 20:09:25

DD, 8 weeks old and now totally bottle fed, wakes for a feed anywhere between 3 and 4 am and I try and get her to re-settle after 3 ounces but often I have to give her more before she will re-settle. When she then wakes up in the morning though, she isn't very hungry.
I've tried offering her water first during the night but she doesn't seem to happy about this. She went through a short stage at about 6 weeks of going from a 10.30pm feed through to about 6.45/7 which is obviously what I'd like to aim for again.

Do I take her not being very hungry in the morning as a sign that she should perhaps be able to do without her little 3/4am feed? Or am I asking too much do you think?

mckenzie Mon 02-May-05 20:47:37

please may I bump?

Henda Mon 02-May-05 21:08:33

Hi mckenzie, i have had EXACTLY the same problem. DS eats little and often during the day, and at night will down a good seven ounces at a time... hopefully someone will help us in our plight????

MarsLady Mon 02-May-05 21:32:57

Can't you just give breakfast a little later? DT1 was and still is my tiny one. She would feed at night and not in the morning. So I simply delayed breakfast and didn't worry about it. She soon got into the habit of eating breakfast. DT2 could eat at any time no matter what he'd had during the night. hth

fruitful Mon 02-May-05 21:35:40

Have you tried to shift the 4am feed forwards? Ie give her as much as she wants, but hold her off for 1/2 hour or so? I've managed to get DS's night feed forward from 1.30 to 3.30 this way (which means he only has 1 night feed now; he is 11 weeks). Basically cuddled / rocked him, gave him a dummy, took him in bed with me - anything to push back the time when he fed. Because if they're not super-hungry then the waking for a feed is just their body-clock saying "I normally eat now". So you have to get them used to eating later. Then after a few days they start waking later. Then you push it forward again...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now