Talk

Advanced search

FANTASTIC article on extended breastfeeding in today's Guardian

(160 Posts)
emkana Sat 30-Apr-05 10:37:59

here

JoolsToo Sat 30-Apr-05 10:50:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ggglimpopo Sat 30-Apr-05 10:54:16

Mud Sat 30-Apr-05 10:54:28

ggglimpopo Sat 30-Apr-05 10:57:21

cupcakes Sat 30-Apr-05 11:00:41

I thought it was a very good article.

Heathcliffscathy Sat 30-Apr-05 11:00:45

gosh, i fed to 10 months and it's made me feel guilty! tbh, ds just didn't really want to know anymore...altho he still at 18mnts (sorry gobbledigook) has a bottle before bedtime....

it is an interesting article....

hunkermunker Sat 30-Apr-05 14:05:55

Very interesting. Hey, I'm a minority!

But I'd suspected that for some time...

donnie Sat 30-Apr-05 15:44:55

I also read it - but I still find the idea of a 4 year old pulling up your t shirt and requesting a tit quite weird, frankly. Maybe it's me who is the freak!

JoolsToo Sat 30-Apr-05 16:29:43

No question about the benefits of breast milk but what extra benefits does the child get from drinking from the breast at an age when they're perfectly capable of using utensils and presumably do use at mealtimes? Why not express and give from a cup?

Hugs and cuddles are still available aren't they?

oops Sat 30-Apr-05 16:38:25

Message withdrawn

oops Sat 30-Apr-05 16:39:58

Message withdrawn

JoolsToo Sat 30-Apr-05 16:41:36

you could easily drink it with a straw if it was expressed into a cup

right I'm not coming back!

Tinker Sat 30-Apr-05 17:20:46

Read this, interesting. There was a mnner quoated in there as well - not sure if I should say that.

hunkermunker Sat 30-Apr-05 19:30:35

Why on earth would I express and fanny around with a breast pump and a cup when I can just give DS milk from a readily available and handy container?!

Also, he is FAR better at obtaining breastmilk than my breast pump - I expressed so DS could have my milk when I was at work and while it was easy to begin with (I used to leave him 20oz per Sunday), as he got bigger, and I expressed less frequently, I didn't get as much. Plus how would I know whether he wanted a quick suck or a full feed when I offered him milk in a cup?

And if I'd gone to the trouble of expressing it, I'd not be happy to see it poured down the sink!

JT, it's not as simple as 'express it and offer it in a cup' - that's all I'm saying! (Not that you'll see this... )

suedonim Sat 30-Apr-05 19:54:45

Wow, I'm in a minority! Tinker, I noticed the Mumsnetter, too.

Joolstoo, 'Why not express?' Personally, I never was able to express, complete numpty when it came to that, plus why involve a middleman and make more work for yourself!?! PS plenty of other cultures do regard cots as cages.

victoriapeckham Sat 30-Apr-05 20:23:17

Eeeeew, Bitty!

spots Sat 30-Apr-05 20:25:51

I betted myself she was a mumsnetter!

I thought it was interesting how the journalist kept harping on about what the women looked like, what they wore etc. - really highlighted how it's a 'lifestyle issue' more than anything else.

spots Sat 30-Apr-05 20:26:29

Bloody Bitty...

loved 'bittyphobic'!

beansprout Sat 30-Apr-05 20:30:36

I was really annoyed by the use of the word "militant" on the front cover. The article then went on to say that most women who are b/feeding on an "extended" basis were doing it in secret/private, mainly due to the crappy attitudes of others. Oh yes, very militant!

The real story is why are so many babies on formula? How did that happen? When I am hospital with milk in my breasts, why is my baby being taken away by a midwife who would give him forumula? I know, I know, another thread!! Just thought it was lazy journalism to take a few women who are doing something "odd" rather than considering why something natural has come to be seen as "odd".

aloha Sat 30-Apr-05 20:31:03

She was harping on about what they wore simply because they weren't all knit-your-own-lentils types - ie she was trying to break through the stereotypes. I did think 'supermodel looks' was pushing a bit though!
I HATE that bloody little Britain sketch. It actually upsets me because it is so hateful towards breastfeeding. I am absolutely certain that it contributes towards women's sense of embarrassment and makes breastfeeding seem ludicrous at best, and sexually perverse at worst, and I think that is absolutely awful. I don't even find it funny.
I suspect Matt Lucas and David Walliams don't like women much.

aloha Sat 30-Apr-05 20:32:51

Oh, I disagree Beansprout. I think the article was asking why it is 'odd' in our culture to breastfeed past, ooh, about six weeks. Because it is. Hardly anyone does. I think it was a genuine attempt to say - hey this happens, these women do it, here's why and look - they are normal.

spots Sat 30-Apr-05 20:40:07

exactly aloha that's what I mean - bending the stereotype that only loonies with the lentil lifestyle would be extended b/feeders. Putting the practice into the realm of 'something oddball hippies do' makes it so much easier for people to find it repellant.

It really seemed to be about the image of extended bf more than anything else. and helpful for that.

aloha Sat 30-Apr-05 20:41:57

Sorry Spots! Misunderstood you.

beansprout Sat 30-Apr-05 20:42:09

"Normal" apart from the ones that look like supermodels!! And hey, it's ok, good looking women do this too?!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now