Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

supply issues

(6 Posts)
Tipex Fri 29-Apr-05 21:16:04

Is it likely/possible for my supply to get too low at 11 weeks? Am soley BFing and DS is gaining weight etc well but some days it seems my supply is a bit rubbish...boobs feel empty and half the time he seems to be sucking at nothing and feeds last ages. I'm also trying to express so I can get out a bit but only manage 1-2 oz each time. I express about an hour after hes fed, mainly from the side I fed on so as not to diminish supply from the boob he will have next. Any ideas how I can get my supply up a bit? I think these problems have coincided with him sleeping longer (goes 7-8pm til 3-4am) but please dont sugggest I start expressing during that time as am loving the extra kip!

NotQuiteCockney Fri 29-Apr-05 21:20:55

It sounds like he's doing fine. He's gaining well, and he's happy and sleeping well. He's getting enough.

How much you can express isn't really an indication of how much is there. If he seems hungrier, maybe offer both sides when he feeds? Or feed more often?

Also, I always got more, expressing, if I fed a baby on one side while expressing on the other.

If you're actively concerned, the other option is to give him a babymoon - go to bed with him for a day, and let him feed whenever he likes. I don't think there's a real problem, but this will bring your supply up.

Often, they need more than you're making, and so will feed more often, and for longer, until your supply catches up.

tiktok Fri 29-Apr-05 23:30:04

Tipex, you don't have a problem with your supply. You have a problem with your confidence.

Empty feeling breasts are normal with well-established bf (check archives for loads on info about this - why they feel empty). Expressing is not a guide to how much your baby can take. Long-lasting feeds can be no more than a sign your baby loves to be there.

It sounds glib, but stop worrying

mears Sat 30-Apr-05 00:41:35

Tipex - agree with Tiktok. Sounds normal so don't worry. As far as expressing goes can I say I never expressed after a feed. Do you leak from the other side at all when feeding? I did so collected drip milk in a sterilised breastshell when feeding. I also expressed when baby was sleeping in between feeds. Even if your DS woke for a feed immediately after you expressed, you would still have milk there to feed him. The breast is never empty. Express small amounts when you can and collect it throughout the day. You can then freeze the total amount over 48 hours. I froze batches of 4 oz at a time, collected over time. 1-2 oz is absolutely fine at each expression.
You actually are doing very well. Just relax about it

aloha Sat 30-Apr-05 08:59:53

I'm 11 weeks in too and I very rarely get hard, full-feeling breasts any more. though I do notice that the side I've fed on does get smaller. What I'm saying is that it's normal and fine. My dd is also sleeping well and growing so fast, and if she's growing, she's getting enough!

Tipex Sat 30-Apr-05 21:33:55

thanks for the support, I feel a bit daft now! Obviously a born worrier! I used to be mrs optimistic until I had DS and now I worry constantly about feeding him right! I'll just let him get on with it and leave things as they are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now